Marriott International - Drama | Glassdoor

"Drama"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Burnsville, MN
Former Employee - Housekeeper in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Marriott International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can take a lot of breaks as a housekeeper, and are pretty much left to your own devices

Cons

Always start at 9am, work until all rooms on your board are clean (12 or so) half hour maximum per room. Rooms are filthy and you clean a lot of nasty stuff. Tips a sparse, and at the place I worked, there was an absurd amount of drama. If you are sick you must call 4 hours before your scheduled shift and find your own replacement. (no one wakes up at 5am to see if they are sick! and no one will come in for housekeeping on their day off)

Advice to Management

hire more housekeepers so that the amount of rooms cleaned per day is manageable, and have a better system for calling in sick.

Other Employee Reviews for Marriott International

1. "Proud to work for Marriott"

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Orlando, FL

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I Loved working for this company. I was sad to see my position eliminated due to corporate reorganization in June of 2011.

Cons

Corporate restructuring led me to lose my position after 15 years with the company. It was sad and unfortunate to have to start over elsewhere after 15 years.

"Terrible for IT work as of last year, and getting worse"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cheap hotel deals, when available, are a great benefit (only for permanent employees). Comfortable office building. Tries to be green, if you like that kind of stuff. Traces of corporate loyalty remain, but that's changing fast, so hurry up to enjoy it. They have money to burn on nice HQ facilities, which is nice for us who are there. Company makes good profits, so great bennies and pay for upper management if that's where you're looking to work.

Cons

IT outsourcing is well underway. Beware if you are IT contracting; they might tell you it's "just a re-org", but IT employees are being rebadged with outsourcers later this year, or (mostly) just sacked, with only a handful left to oversee the outsourced services, and IT contractors have no idea what's coming. Outside of IT, seems OK, so long as you watch for the next benefit cut; they do this to some random thing every year or so. Other IT shops in DC Metro often pay much better. Absolutely, totally would never recommend this place right now to an IT friend unless s/he is desperate and willing to work a rapacious contract but with an unknown future.

Advice to Management

Too late for advice other than how to pick up the wreckage. You sure picked the wrong guys to run this. Get some good lawyers to deal with your outsourcers later. Get a good PR firm to deal with the fallout from random IT failures that are coming.