Marsh - Great people, large matrixed organization, lots of politics | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Marsh

"Great people, large matrixed organization, lots of politics"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great people, large company means lots of resources, great mentors, opportunity for advancement, largest broker in industry, exposure to lots in the industry

Cons

rate race, little loyalty from management, devotion to cutting costs has resulted in workers doing more with less

Advice to Management

Reward employees for hard work

Other Employee Reviews for Marsh

"Vice President - GIT"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Marsh full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing that can invite the top talent but good for pedestrian and mediocre talent. The place can really become nice to work if the current top management is fired and new set of leadership is brought that has hands on knowledge and are technical and also respect the IT resources.

Cons

Very weak IT management, no vision, top management laced with insecurity, mantra applied "award the mediocrity and suppress the meritocracy", filled with "yes sir" culture. Highly disorganized with the leaders having no clue how to run and IT organization.

Advice to Management

Fire the top IT management and flatten the organization of hierarchy. Top management pay and bonus should be directly linked to the performance and they should be held responsible

"This place will suck your soul out."

Former Employee - Certificate Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Certificate Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Marsh full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the brokers were very helpful and I did learn a fair bit. Benefits were decent, vacation time was plentiful.

Cons

It was impossible to get a day off. My supervisor was unwilling to let me get one morning off to buy a house, but took two weeks off to go to Europe after half of our team quit. Often, he would swing by my desk before he left on for the weekend and pressure me to work weekends (just like the manager in "Office Space"). Training is terrible, and because the workload is so heavy new employees are given trial by fire. No one is happy at Marsh in Austin, and the work environment is miserable.

Advice to Management

Show some appreciation for the little guys, create a real training program and put a bit of thought into who you promote as a supervisor or team lead.