Marsh & McLennan Companies - Was great as KVI - not so much as Marsh | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Marsh & McLennan Companies

"Was great as KVI - not so much as Marsh"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbandale, IA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Urbandale, IA

Pros

Nice people
Great benefits
Varied work available

Cons

Don't expect to be paid well
No raise in 3 years - despite consistent "above expectation" performance

Advice to Management

Develop internal staff instead of constantly looking outside the company for people who were developed by their previous employers.

Other Employee Reviews for Marsh & McLennan Companies

1. "Wonderfully polite culture, good business to be in, unfortunate use of remote personnel"

Former Employee - Software Developer III in Norwood, MA
    Former Employee - Software Developer III in Norwood, MA

Pros

People treat each other with courtesy. Every conversation is calm and friendly. It would be weird and inappropriate at Mercer, to express anger or put anyone down with harsh language. It's a professional organization: people do their jobs, with relatively little politics. Women do well there, hold many advanced positions. Norwood has a fabulous cafeteria. The bonus amounts to about 8-13% of your salary, depending on how well the company does and how well you do. They paid the full bonus in 2009, a tough year.

Cons

The politeness can get in the way of getting work done. "I need this done TODAY dammit" would never be said and probably would not get the desired result. Career advancement gets "official" attention from HR and you get emails about it, but in practice it's all very vague, and they tend to fill higher positions from outside. They use a management-by-objectives set up for the bonus evaluation, where the corporate goals are spelled out, and we are supposed to identify activities to help meet those goals. It didn't work for me: my work had almost nothing to do with the very-high-level corporate goals (I was far from the top). I got a bad bonus after several years of good bonuses, when I got a new supervisor, who seemed to select me from the outset as the person he would ding that year. Managers have to put someone in the bottom category each year; I was it, that time.

Advice to Management

Improve communication. Managers talk to subordinates, but need vastly improved listening skills. The biggest indictment of the culture was when the top of the org chart ended his presentation and asked for questions: 200 people in the room, and he might get 1 or 2 softballs, or nothing. People are scared at Mercer, is my inference from that. Standing out, drawing attention to yourself, is discouraged... just because getting yourself on a big shot's radar might get you invited out the door. The high-ups know this, I guess: they created a way to anonymously email suggestions and complaints to the top boss. It's weird that that's necessary.

"Despite Senior Management's public comments on the importance of family..."

Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

Pros

The company is one of the few left with a pension plan if you work at least 5 years. Generally, good benefits, but copays seem higher than the case with my prior employer and some of the limits on benefits seem low. Good place, however, if you want to get out the door before 5 PM. Few seem to stay after that in the office. Many positions allow you to work remotely, at least part of the time.

Cons

Lack of loyalty...company has no problem sacrificing employees even if revenues have long been known to be off the mark. Company lacks good systems to track basic details of who and how much business is done with which carrier in some business units.