Marshalls - Sales Associate | Glassdoor

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier
Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier

I have been working at Marshalls part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The nice customers thats about it.

Cons

Pay,discount rate and hours. Pretty much everything.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you would yourself. This is why you guys will never be on top 100 fourtune for jobs. Because youre selfish and taking all the money for your selves.

Other Employee Reviews for Marshalls

"OK, for the right person"

Current Employee - Processing Associate
    Current Employee - Processing Associate

I have been working at Marshalls part-time (More than a year)

Pros

In theory it is a simple job, with flexible schedules for part-time workers.Weekly pay check. Co workers are friendly for the most part. Bday/Holiday parties

Cons

Lack of people working any given shift. Managers expect an 8+ pallet truck to be recieved by 3 people over the course of 4 hours. They do not hold you accountable however they do put time on how long it should take to do each task. You will work your ass off just to be asked why it is taking so long. The time goals are unreachable. The entire store is lock and key, if you need a pen, tools, or other resources you have to call for a manager to get them, huge waste of time! As a part-timer, anything you do pretty much needs manager approval. Managers are constantly out of the store on training/vacation/conference calls, but I dont feel that any of this information is relayed to the associate. LOTS of rules with the expectation of full time results from part time workers. No training, showed up day one and was told to get to work. Made us watch an anti-Union video, im not a big fan of unions to begin with however I will make my own choices. The video drops you to walmarts level. A lot of people will complain about lack of hours, however I average about 25 which I consider high for a part time job. My complaint here would be that too many people stand around doing nothing, cashier, fitting room people just stand and wait on customers which at times are few and far between, not always but early mornings are dead. We will have days that are really dead, both customers and projects. On these days they will have you walk around in a circle doing nothing instead of sending you home. I will openly volunteer to go home an hour today, and stay an hour longer tomorrow when its busy so labor doesnt get jacked, and managers will look at me like im retarded. CUT NOW, SPEND LATER! Managers are friendly, but they kinda have their heads up their ass when it comes to managing people/time. Very unrealistic. Loss prevention measures feel like they are aimed at the associates and not the customers. Employee theft hasnt been an issue at our location, but customer theft is rampant. I am all for diversity in the work place, however of the 40 or so employees, most are 40+ years of age and there are only 4...maybe 5 male associates. Being younger, taller, and more fit than other employees, I feel I get asked to do things that others cant or are unwilling to do. Of course I will gladly volunteer to climb a ladder and take down some product over you sending a 60 year old woman to do it but please, 1 or 2 tall/fit males would make a world of change for my back. Very BORING job, tasks are repetative. MIN WAGE.

Advice to Management

Stop caving in to Micro-management and run your own store. Stop wasting time auditing problems when you could be fixing them. Listen to your staff, and increase payroll. Dont brag about how your opening 1000 new stores, and profit 500 million a year when you are as cheap as you are with both wages and labor.

2. "So-so program, horrible implementation"

Former Intern - Technical and Merchandising Intern
    Former Intern - Technical and Merchandising Intern

I worked at Marshalls as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

There aren't any pros. Avoid this internship at all costs. I would give no stars, but that isn't an option.

Cons

Managers won't follow through on the internship program

Advice to Management

Rather than giving a small store to a bad manager, fire her.