Mary Kay - Great company for personal growth, camaraderie, and fun! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mary Kay

"Great company for personal growth, camaraderie, and fun!"

Former Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Cosmetic discounts, fun acitvities for personal and professional growth; if you need a morale boost Mary Kay Cosmetics is the place you want to work!

Cons

Everyone is great, friendly, and will do anything to help you sell, however, if you have any aspirations of becoming a sales director you better prepare yourself for a ton of hours spent at meetings, events, and training the new consultants....all without pay! The only way you can make a real living is if you recruit hundreds of new beauty consultants, hope that they stay, and hope that they continue to order cosmetics so you get the commissions...or Love Check as they call it.

Advice to Management

Stop trying so desperately to recruit new individuals and hire real sales individuals and offer a base salary with sales quotas. I would also strongly suggest to stop allowing people to purchase the cosmetics at 50% off simply for ordering a certain amount each quarter. For the reps really trying to sell, it completely squashes your sales when eventually your customers hear of or find someone that doesn't sell Mary Kay, but they do order a certain amount each quarter, therefore, they can order through their friend or acquaintence for 50% off the retail price. If they can find someone to order it from for half the price, why on earth would they buy it from an independent rep....who is spending money for the mailings, flyers, and paying for all of the party supplies each time they hold an event in their own home to generate some sales.

Other Employee Reviews for Mary Kay

1. "The Lord willing, I hope to do what I do for the rest of my life!"

Current Employee - Independent Sales Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Director in Dallas, TX

Pros

Place God first, family second and career third in my life.
    Highest sales commission of direct selling company in the U.S.
    No territories. No sales quotas.
    Be my own boss. Promote myself to leadership as I choose.
    Build lasting friendships.
    Recognition.
    Self esteem building environment.
    Driving my fifth career car.
    Best-selling brand for 17 consecutive years.
    Free training.

Cons

Must be self motivated. Travel is required for higher success.

Advice to Management

Please offer more support to Directors in the Go-Give Area.

2. "Mary Kay is a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

The company genuinely cares about its employees. The work environment is particularly satisfying and the recognition given to the Sales Directors is wonderful.

Cons

Hard company to get in to at corporate office. They hire from within a lot which is good for the current employees however.