Mary Kay - The Most Disrespectful, Unprofessional and Political Company in My Career | Glassdoor

"The Most Disrespectful, Unprofessional and Political Company in My Career"

in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay

Pros

This company is having it's best year ever, apparently. Many people go to work here because of the core values of the company and it's mission from it's founder - to enrich womens lives. Unfortunately, the real culture of the company isn't what it's portrayed to be from the outside looking in.

Cons

Political and backstabbing. I was given no feedback on my job performance. Too many managers are plotting with each other to keep their jobs while plotting to get others fired. Meanwhile, they are not doing their jobs. They're making their employees do all their work which puts an incredible amount of pressure on the employees, who have no voice. They have no voice because the directors who oversee the managers... give complete and blind support to their managers. This creates a large window of opportunity for abuse of power by the managers.

Advice to Management

Take a serious look at your middle managers who've been there for 12+ years. Then take a serious look at their managers, the directors. Actually seek out your employee-level workers and begin to build a conversation with them. Create a culture that promotes fairness to everyone, not supreme rule by a few. Make it okay to talk to someone about their managers if they feel they are being mistreated and taken advantage... of. Send the message to management that they are not "untouchable" - that they are accountable for the well being of their team members - not just the sales numbers. Make their employees' approval count for something. Make it a two-way street. Give your employees a voice because their managers aren't giving them one. Base their performance reviews on how their employees rate them.

Mary Kay2012-01-12
  1. "A great company to work for"

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunities to move up in the company. Earning special prizes in addition to money. Flexibility.

Cons

Sometimes it takes a little while to see results

Mary Kay2019-05-13
  2. "Excellent company"

Current Freelancer - Independent Beauty Consultant

I have been working at Mary Kay for less than a year

Pros

Be your own boss Bonus incentives, vacation, jewelry, prizes, commissions

Cons

none to speak of, don't have any

Mary Kay2019-10-22

Discover more reviews about Mary Kay.