Mary Kay - Once a great company. Horribly mismanaged. Management either disconnected or fake & vengeful. Very cliquish. | Glassdoor
Pros
Cons
  • "Must be self motivated and smart with your money" (in 8 reviews)

• "Almost impossible to move into a full-time position due to employee tenure" (in 13 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Once a great company. Horribly mismanaged. Management either disconnected or fake & vengeful. Very cliquish."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and work/life balance. Generous product discount and onsite restaurant. Generous 401K possibilities and corporate discounts. Enjoyed working with my peers and direct reports.

Cons

Too much disingenuous "fake it til you make it" attitude and butt kissing in the corporate office. Worked with a handful of managers with integrity and good intentions. In my experience, most managers, directors and VPs (and above) "manage UP," looking out for their own self interest rather than looking out for their direct reports.

Gossip, backstabbing and drama are par for the course. Difficult to know whom to trust. Everyone is distrustful of HR. Culture has slowly dissipated since Mary Kay Ash's passing.

Advice to Management

Get fresh blood. Encourage new ideas and innovation. Tenured employees contribute to the cliquish atmosphere and the arrogant, self important attitudes.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Independent Beauty Consultant"

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time

Pros

I love the freedom to work this business at my pace. If I want to work hard, I can make more money, but if I just want to do a little bit, that works too.

Cons

If you aren't comfortable talking to strangers, this is not the business for you.

"Good benefits; not so good management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Product discount is very generous. There's a limit to the amount you can purchase. It must be for personal use.

Cons

The company used to be based on Mary Kay's foundation on which she built the company: God first, family second, career third. Unfortunately, since her death the company has become more focused on making money and less about treating employees airily.

Discover more reviews about Mary Kay.