Mary Kay - Great job if you're not afraid of hard work and sales | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mary Kay

"Great job if you're not afraid of hard work and sales"

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Naperville, IL
Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You make your own hours and decide how hard you want to work. It's a very fun environment, lots of support, and you decide with whom you work.

Cons

It is very easy to over-order your inventory and get stuck with old product that you can not sell. You need to be ready and willing to find your own clientele, and able to build on your own network of customers in order to generate new connections. In order to advance, you need to build a large team of consultants underneath you.

Other Employee Reviews for Mary Kay

"Senior Beauty Consultant"

Current Contractor - Independent Beauty Consultant' in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Independent Beauty Consultant' in Houston, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom, Flexibility, Empowering to women. Encourages "Faith First, Family Second, Career Third" and a positive environment. So much fun! Meeting women from all walks of life is encouraging, proving that anyone can be successful if they choose to be.

Cons

You must be a self-starter and want to do more and be more as a person if you expect to succeed in the Mary Kay sales force. You must discipline yourself and treat it as a serious business. If you do this, your career will flourish.

"Mary Kay is an amazing opportunity for those who are driven and self-motivated."

Current Employee - Future Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Future Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is second to none. I work with wonderful positive people who are supportive and inspiring. My income is based on my effort and I love it! If I want to make $100,000 this year then $100,000 it is.

Cons

The challenges are that you have to work hard. You can't just skate along like a corporate job and collect a paycheck. The upside is the more you work the more your paid whereas on salary no matter how much or how little you work your check is the same.