Mary Kay - Stressful, Management promoted by being there forever, not by ability. Very political. | Glassdoor

"Stressful, Management promoted by being there forever, not by ability. Very political."

in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mary Kay

Pros

Pay, benefits, work place is old but well kept, at manufacturing. Corporate facilites very nice. Cafeterias were partially funded by the company, food was good, prices were very good. I believe that the current very top level executive does a great job.

Cons

Stress. They "claim" to practice the Golden Rule, but only in the opposite of what is meant! Work life balance they also preach but there is none in some departments. Everything depends on the VP you work for. If you advance in your career, how much you make, your level of satisfaction working there seems to be determined by who you work for. If you are not extremely well liked, but very competant in your work... skills you will not go far. They still live in the 1970's. Too many of management have been there, and only there, too long.

Advice to Management

Get some new people in management positions who have worked somewhere else have have experience outside of Mary Kay.

Mary Kay2011-05-03
  1. "A great company to work for"

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunities to move up in the company. Earning special prizes in addition to money. Flexibility.

Cons

Sometimes it takes a little while to see results

Mary Kay2019-05-13
  2. "Amazing place to intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay for less than a year

Pros

The intern program at Mary Kay is so unique. They really value their interns and want them to succeed. I learned so much and felt far more than an intern in my time at Mary Kay.

Cons

The only thing I found odd was that interns in different departments were paid different amounts.

Advice to Management

Keep following the golden rule

Mary Kay2019-10-16

Discover more reviews about Mary Kay.