Maryland Judiciary - Pretty good job. | Glassdoor

"Pretty good job."

Current Employee - Law Clerk in Rockville, MD
Current Employee - Law Clerk in Rockville, MD

Pros

Great colleagues; it's like one big happy family. There is somewhat good job stability and there are great benefits because it is a government job.

Cons

As a law clerk, your job is temporary, so there isn't much job security. Also, as in any position, people don't always respond well to new hires.

Advice to Management

Try to make people feel more included. Have more social gatherings that don't necessarily cost money. The case management system also needs an update.

Other Employee Reviews for Maryland Judiciary

1. "Great Work with Great People"

Former Employee - Staff Attorney
    Former Employee - Staff Attorney

I worked at Maryland Judiciary full-time

Pros

The work is both interesting and challenging. Staff Attorneys treat each other as peers irrespective of their level of experience, and everyone is always willing to discuss and look into a complicated issue that might be causing trouble for one person.

Cons

No real possibility for promotion, and is not specialized experience to add to your resume.

2. "Law Clerk"

Current Employee - Judicial Law Clerk
    Current Employee - Judicial Law Clerk

I have been working at Maryland Judiciary full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working as a law clerk is a great opportunity, and it seems to open doors for everyone that I've met here at the Maryland judiciary. I haven't been here long, but I've seen several law clerks leave their positions for jobs at good law firms at the end of their term. The benefits are excellent -- my health insurance is essentially completely paid for by the employer. I have no co-pay for seeing my doctor or a specialist, and I typically pay nothing at all for prescriptions (I use Kaiser Permanente).

Cons

The pay is low -- high 40s to roughly 50k for appellate clerks, low 40s for Circuit Court clerks, and high 30s/low 40s for District Court clerks. I've seen a few people that stayed with the court system for more than two years, at which point they're promoted to Senior Clerk. That comes with a significant pay increase -- I believe salary goes to roughly 75k.