Masco - Someone put this company out of its misery! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Masco

"Someone put this company out of its misery!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middlefield, OH
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middlefield, OH

I worked at Masco full-time

Pros

Some of the stupidity was laughable. Some of it could have been laughable had it not been so unbelievable.

Cons

1. You have people in positions of power that know NOTHING about engineering, systems, quality, etc... The fact that these morons think that they knew something was even more entertaining.
2. There wasn't any innovation in this company...just a bad verson of the "The Little Train that could." Projects were being recycled over and over, each time the result was a painful death. Maybe a note to self: Changing paint color isn't considered innovative in the real world. As Mr. Webster states: Definition of INNOVATION. something (as a device) created for the first time through the use of the imagination.
3. Your intelligence is the average of your peers. So when you have to have an employee development class on how to read a tape measurer...well, what can I say? I would laugh except it just wasn't as funny to experience. Seriously.
4. "Run, Forest, Run!" Get the hell out if you haven't already. If there was an option to not give this company any stars, I would. Working there was the worst experience of my life. Working for a bipolar insecured boss that looked like a tree stump, priceless. I now have stories to tell.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse and actually read a book about how to properly manage your people. Degrading and intimidating them actually makes you look more like the village idiot (and that's disturbing since you're surrounded by idiots already). Get rid of the Kraftmaid "Lifers" who are still left at the top. You need new blood that knows something about the 21st century technology. Lastly, you need to take a look at some of these upper management lying about their qualifications.

Other Employee Reviews for Masco

"No growth opportunity for support personnel"

Current Employee - Support Staff in Taylor, MI
    Current Employee - Support Staff in Taylor, MI

Pros

The health benefits are much better than previous companies; on-site cafe; matching gifts; the company closes for the week between Christmas Eve and New Year's. There is a gym on-site. 4% match for 401k. Annual bonus and profit sharing.

Cons

Minimum to zero advancement potential for support personnel. I have never had a performance review. They are so focused on bringing in good young talent that they make everyone that has been there for years feel undervalued. Support personnel are continuously left out of department meetings, not given any projects, basically made to feel that we are not an important part of the team. Telecommuting policy is not fairly governed.

Lots of red tape for every little idea you may have, legal has to look at everything and takes weeks to respond. IT Help Desk is in bad shape, but they are genuinely pleasant people. It seems to be a lack of direction.

The HQ building has so much empty space (waste of money) and should be moved to Ann Arbor with Cabinetry. According to our last all-employee meeting, layoffs are coming AGAIN. Staff are tired of seeing their co-workers terminated. Morale is pitiful. It feels as if there is a constant threat, and there are a couple director level employees who seem to get energized by firing people. These are the type of people that become executives in the company. The "atmosphere" has changed so much.

It is very heartbreaking as this used to be a wonderful company. I hope that Masco can find its way back, but it doesn't look like it will anytime soon.

In general, I cannot recommend Masco to any interested support level candidates. That said, if you are an executive level employee, you will probably be quite pleased, especially as there are extra perks for execs. I think the extra perks would make up for some of the low morale, etc. that you will face. So, please don't let my review hold you back if you are at that level. It is only for the office workers that the situation is truly dire.

2. "Great Company...Lots of Potential!!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daytona Beach, FL

Pros

Masco is a growing, ever-changing company. They are constantly working to improve the way they do business and to improve the customer service they provide.

Cons

Because they are in such a growth mode, they often stretch resources beyond their limits.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive in creating the infrastructure needed to support change and growth. Clean house, if necessary, to get rid of anyone who is not on the same team or who is not able to produce the results necessary for the company's success. Hire people that can build the teams needed to get the job done right! Automate!!! Keep it Simple!!!