MassMutual - I ended up paying too much money for the ability to work there. This job was too expensive. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MassMutual

"I ended up paying too much money for the ability to work there. This job was too expensive."

Former Employee - Financial Services Professional
Former Employee - Financial Services Professional

I worked at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Friendly people, on the job sales training, well known name, fun incentive set-up, professional looking office, one-on-one help from management, large teams to offer support

Cons

Commission only pay, not enough training for the type of product you are selling, you have to pay them to rent your desk space, you pay them for your parking space, the typical person does not make enough money in the first year to cover bills and basic living expenses.

Advice to Management

While I understand that it is a tough industry to get into, I think that the structure of the company creates a "car sales person" atmosphere. There are insurance and investment companies that create an apprenticeship type learning program to help prepare future advisors to actually be beneficial to customers. This includes an actual salary.

Other Employee Reviews for MassMutual

1. "Good Company to work for."

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Company to work for.

Cons

Employees feel that the management do not listen to them.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees.

"Good company, but limited opportunities & pay in satellite office"

Current Employee - Registered Customer Service Representative in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Registered Customer Service Representative in Memphis, TN

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, my direct manager is great. Any reasonable request, such as personal days, is fulfilled. Several people have come here when they get pregnant, get paid maternity leave, then resign once the baby has dropped out.

Cons

IF you are in the Memphis office, opportunities are limited to just the occasional back office role. Salary is good if you're content with being middle class. A lot of coworkers seem to be that way.

Advice to Management

It's not really a problem with local mgmt, as they have been great. Home office needs to start offering more positions in Memphis if they want to recruit and retain talent. Most of the smarter people I started with have accepted offers with other companies less than a year after hire.