MassMutual - Would not reccommend working here | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MassMutual

"Would not reccommend working here"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA
Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at MassMutual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good office staff; nice offices; quality products; ease of doing business; benefits

Cons

upper management not involved with day to day operations and not approachable or gets defensive; lower management robotic with their teachings; no help generating sales and no financial support to get started; appears that established agents have succeeded off the backs of people who quit within first year or two as their first sales are low relative to their income of residuals; worst case of good ol'e boy network you can imagine; unpleasant senior agents; we are asked to write in to "Best Places to Work in VA" so we can win; very unfavorable to women agents

Advice to Management

get in touch with agents coming along and ask what they need today not preach what used to be done 20 years ago; come off some of the money you all make and help new people get a good footing; don't make it so obvious what senior agents earn as it is very disheartening to see favoritism be rewarded

Other Employee Reviews for MassMutual

1. "Stable company. Poor career growth prospects."

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Corporate strategy is right on the money.
    Company stayed solid even through the worst of 2008.

Cons

Inconsistent application of work/life balance policies.
    Little to no career growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

In the trenches, RPG integration not going all that well.

"Stable, conservative, great for workaholics"

Former Employee - Quantitative Specialist in Springfield, MA
    Former Employee - Quantitative Specialist in Springfield, MA

I worked at MassMutual full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, nice home office amenities like fitness center, awesome cafeteria, credit union, dry cleaners, etc. I had the very best in computer equipment including two monitors.

Cons

Lousy benefits. Police state culture: they take security to the extreme. Sometimes when they do layoffs they just walk people out without letting them say goodbye or letting them pack up their own stuff even if they did nothing wrong and just aren't needed anymore. Some employees are openly racist. (Controllers and Corp Planning) but management makes a real attempt to support minority ethnic groups. The Springfield office is in an African American neighborhood but most Blacks I saw there worked in the cafeteria. There were a few in my division, and I saw other individuals be disrespectful toward them. (This really disgusted me) The new CEO is from investment banking, not insurance and he is heartless. The company only exists to enrich the 1%. With this new CEO they don't even pretend to care about anyone else. U.S. economy tanking? Now problem, we'll sell to Japan and China.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect! Treat them like human beings! Give employees more of a voice. There is some amazing talent there. Do more to help the city of Springfield, you owe them that much for being your home.