MassMutual - I'm still figuring this business out | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MassMutual

"I'm still figuring this business out"

I have been working at MassMutual full-time

Pros

Autonomy, independence, entrepreneurial, success pays well.

Cons

Minimal training beyond sales and products. Learning complex implementations is totally on you. No salary makes it challenging initially.

Other Employee Reviews for MassMutual

"Not what I expected. Nine months, spent a lot of money obtaining licensing, was not reimbursed or paid while at company."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Raleigh, NC

I worked at MassMutual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent products, and (as stated in the interview) high commissions on sales. Internal website is very informative, although excessive, and might confuse less tech savvy individuals.

Cons

Poor business structure, new employees (in my view) are taken advantage of, and not given proper training to become successful. New employees are expected to build their own book of business without leads, or contributed advertising dollars from management. My experience, I spent thousands of dollars without earning a penny. Company wants your contacts, will sign them to product, and hopefully you will quit, so that they can keep your residual commissions.

Advice to Management

Develop your talent when they come in the door. Time and money spent in the front end will create revenue for you, and a dedicated employee. Build a solid two week training course, instead of one or two hours a week, spread out over the course of months.

2. "Don't enter this profession!!!!!"

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Raleigh, NC

I worked at MassMutual part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great line of products, high commission rates (as stated on hiring propaganda). Excellent company-based website with information to supply to potential clients.

Cons

Fully commission-based pay. Upfront fees to become licensed.

Advice to Management

You must mentor, and give incentives to talented employees - the lengthy sales cycle and time needed to complete training/licensing will quickly make this career unattractive to those without a significant cash reserve. Also, make sure that the local general agent creates a proper culture, because their salary should depend on the direct success of their subordinates..