Massachusetts Department of Education - satisifed | Glassdoor

"satisifed"

Pros

job satisfaction, competitive pay, pension

Cons

political advancement hard to move up

Other Employee Reviews for Massachusetts Department of Education

1. "My Favorite Work Experience Even"

Former Contractor - Project Coordinator (Contract) in Malden, MA
    Former Contractor - Project Coordinator (Contract) in Malden, MA

I worked at Massachusetts Department of Education as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I loved everything about working my 2+year contract at the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, The work was meaningful and challenging in a very good way. I loved my team and my supervisors. I got to interact daily with school districts across the state. It's a lean operation and there aren't perks like catered lunches and outings, but we made our own fun with potlucks and birthday dinners without tapping into taxpayer dollars. I'm in the final 15 years or so of my career, and I honestly would have stayed there until retirement. But I was on a project-based contract and we finished the project. I would go back there in a heartbeat. But for now, I'm just thankful that I had such a positive and affirming work experience in a long career that hasn't always been so positive.

Cons

You're going to have to do without things like free coffee, catered lunches, company holiday bonuses or gifts, etc. It's all taxpayer-supported and no fleecing is allowed. But at the end of the day, it's good to know that our tax dollars aren't being spent on luxuries. Be aware also that state hiring freezes throw a frequent wrench into onboarding.

Advice to Management

Hire me again! But seriously, management is doing a good job within the tight parameters of state government.

2. "Higher Ups Don't Treat Employees like Adults"

I have been working at Massachusetts Department of Education full-time

Pros

It is a very stable job. Once you're in it is nearly impossible to get fired. For the most part, you don't need to be on call or checking email after work hours. Flex time is an option so you can choose your hours to an extent.

Cons

Because it is difficult to get fired, so many of my colleagues are totally checked out and not interested in going beyond the bare minimum. Also, I knew there would be additional bureaucracy in taking a government job but the level is insane. Managers do not trust employees to act as adults - from time management, to working from home, to dress code. There is also so much inflexibility that improvements just don't happen. Even when there is plenty of time and interest in making changes, I have been told not to improve systems. There are so many silos in the work that I don't know the names or jobs of people who sit 20 feet away from me, and people don't seem interested in getting to know new employees. Most importantly, so much of the work is compliance-oriented. It is nearly impossible to get someone to consider how we can actually support schools and teachers to make them better. I have heard people say, "Yeah, that should probably be part of what we're doing, but it would be hard to do."