Massage Envy - Worst job I've ever had, and my first job was cleaning dog cages. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Massage Envy

"Worst job I've ever had, and my first job was cleaning dog cages."

Former Employee - Front Desk Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA
Former Employee - Front Desk Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Massage Envy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounted massages. That's all I can really say. I liked a few of the people I worked with, the therapists were great, and I liked the aroma therapies that were set out.

Cons

Management, drama, no benefits, and no flexibility on schedules. Do not work for this company, you'll be glad you didn't.

Advice to Management

Don't focus solely on sales, don't make empty threats of firing, replacing, or suspension. Get benefits for employees, pay all associates better for their time, and treat employees like they are adults.

Other Employee Reviews for Massage Envy

1. "The culture decides the work environment"

Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor
    Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor

I have been working at Massage Envy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Our franchise owners are excellent and personally involved, but not over the top.

Management at our location works very hard to ensure that there is minimal divide between front desk staff and LMTs and estheticians.

Discounted services and retail

Opportunities to present new ideas without fear of being shut down.

Open door policy with management.

Tons of training and resources for development.

Cons

Low pay, with minimal opportunity for advancement.

Sales goals that are attainable, but if you have a rough patch you need to attend additional training. Probation if your sales closing is below average for too long. Termination if none of the above work, but that is rare.

Little to no corporate support during opening a new spa resulted in poor layout of our location, and it took much longer than usual to get on our feet as far as goals were concerned.

Advice to Management

Be sure to have a fully staffed management team at all times. Also guarantee an open door policy to all employees. Respect your therapists limitations at all times, including, but not limited to, modalities, hours, and enhancements. If a therapist can only work 3 hours before a break, with a maximum of a 6 hour shift, respect it. Otherwise turnover will be incredibly high. Offer regular one-on-one meetings to check in with employees. Also, regular team meetings with ALL esti's, LMTs, and front desk staff are vital to operations. This way, you can air out grievances, in a professional, controlled environment, and also come together to implement new work strategies and programs. TEAM BUILDING IS YOUR NUMBER ONE FRIEND IN THIS INDUSTRY, especially after reading these other reviews.

2. "While I enjoyed my experience working for 2 different clinics, I saw a lot of turnover and unhappiness."

Former Employee - Assistant Clinic Administrator in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Clinic Administrator in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Massage Envy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-I got along with most of my coworkers
    -I enjoyed my clients
    -My pay wasn't bad but thats mostly because I excelled at sales

Cons

-Leadership is key, a poor choice of Admin=unhappy clients and employees
    -Base pay is lousy for the work that is expected
    -High stress

Advice to Management

RELAX on the sales focus on customer service. Don't be so strict.