KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Misleading hiring process

Sep 12, 2021 - Independent Contractor in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay, flexible work-from-home schedule.

Cons

Extremely misleading, highly unprofessional and chaotic hiring practices. I was hired for a job I was well-qualified for. They shipped a computer to my home. I did all of the onboarding stuff in the run-up to my first day. The night before I was due to start, I got a panicked call from HR telling me the position I was offered was "temporarily unavailable." They offered me a temporary contract job in an entirely different department, wholly different from my background/skillset, for a period of 3 months while my "real" job was lined up. I signed a 90-day contract for temporary work. The 90 days passed and instead of giving me the job I was promised, they laid me off. The HR director acted like there was never any arrangement to transition me into the new role. I felt totally gaslit. Yet, lo and behold, nearly a year after they declined to renew my contract, the hiring manager reached out to me to see if I was interested in taking the job I originally interviewed for. Working for MasterClass was one of the most humiliating professional experiences of my career.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Atmosphere

Oct 26, 2021 - Sales Development Representative (SDR)
    Business Outlook

Pros

great team and great company culture

Cons

nothing to report on so far!

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

People First

Jun 25, 2021 - Senior Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Incredibly impressed with the culture here 2.5 months in. So much so that I'm leaving this review without anyone at the company asking me to! I interviewed at 50 companies and MasterClass checked my 4 main boxes the best: 1. People: Great culture and ethical founder 2. Mission: Inspiring people to learn through online education 3. Role: Growth engineering is great for entrepreneurial engineers 4. Comp: Generous salary and equity with clear path to IPO IMO I'm also really impressed with the DEI efforts at MasterClass.

Cons

Like any company there are certainly areas for improvement. We're experiencing classic growing pains right now in which our more senior folks are stretched thin with interviews on top of onboarding new peeps and any other work they can get to. Our documentation on the engineering team also needs better organization which apparently we're working on.

4 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about MasterClass.