Mastercard - Fantastic company to build a career! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mastercard

"Fantastic company to build a career!"

Current Employee - Leader in Purchase, NY
Current Employee - Leader in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and attitude by most of the workforce and management. Energetic and empowering CEO and Executive Committee that creates and gets involved in initiatives in a meaningful way.

Cons

Company went public in 2006 and it seems like there is till a remnant of the "country club" atmosphere. Some people are harder to motivate than others, but i suppose that goes for most workplaces in corporate America. Another potential con is career advancement opportunities depending on the department that you are in. The bigger the department the more opportunities, but also vice versa.

Advice to Management

Push people out of their comfort zones and hold them accountable for their actions and results. Reward the ones who go above and beyond to add meaningful value to their department and the company's bottom line.

Other Employee Reviews for Mastercard

1. "Great company and experience but needs younger people"

Current Intern - Summer Intern in Purchase, NY
    Current Intern - Summer Intern in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Mastercard as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Lot of great people to learn from- and a lifetime of expertise in the payments industry

Cons

Can feel a bit outdated at times- needs younger blood

Advice to Management

Doing a great job reforming the college recruiting process! Keep expanding to schools, and aim high!

2. "MasterCard is a great place to work because the diverse technologies we work with in a given year exceed most careers"

Current Employee - Technical Consultant in O'Fallon, MO
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in O'Fallon, MO

I have been working at Mastercard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working at MasterCard (Operations & Technologies Headquarters) is exciting due to the many opportunities that come about in a technology company. There are always changes to our infrastructure and we're constantly pushing the envelope with new and exciting adoption (or creation of) technologies.

What I mean to say is that it is clear how many parts of the Technology Organization of MasterCard, in just a 2 year span, an Operations employee (Analyst through Sr. Professional) will have established a firm working knowledge of many different industry leading products, software or technology types that will decorate their resume beyond what many might achieve in their entire career.

Cons

The only 2 Cons I've heard around the office are really these:

1) Due to the high pressure demands for rapid development or fast turn around on various projects, many find themselves overwhelmed. It certainly isn't a workplace for the meek (though I personally enjoy the pressure, it drives me personally).

2) Appreciation is lacking for those that burst with initiative and improvement efforts that change the company for the good. I've been witness to several cases where an employee has improved a process or business practice that has caused a financial savings greater than that employee's salary (in a few cases these savings are realized annually).

Advice to Management

First, If I could share some things with upper management it would be to work on communication across the different parts of the organization when it comes to product purchasing and development efforts. Many times I find 2 teams that don't work together are sometimes spending even Millions of dollars attempting to solve the same business requirement(s). If they knew such projects were underway, the 2nd one in the pool might be able to leverage the advancements (and investments) made by the first team tackling the issue. This might be achieved by enacting a policy that asks teams to:

1) Post the name & description of the effort they're working on in a searchable forum (say our SharePoint site for example) and

2) That teams seeking to start an effort on a topic first search that forum to see if anyone else is already under way.

Second, Instruct Middle Management to take better initiatives with the HEART award system for their own employees when they do something that really moves the needle. It's ok if these awards come from a manager instead of a peer or other employee.