Mastercard - Good benefits, but weak HR | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mastercard

"Good benefits, but weak HR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Purchase, NY

Pros

There are good benefits provided by the company, There is a strong global network and some insightful research. Plenty of opportunities to work across multiple business units.

Cons

Poor communication from HR. Beware of the meeting culture. People host meetings when they could just communicate needs through email or over the phone.

Advice to Management

Offer more open communication and reduce redundancy.

Other Employee Reviews for Mastercard

1. "My expectations were wrong"

Former Employee - Vice President in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in Purchase, NY

Pros

When I thought about joining MasterCard, I had reservations. It appeared to be a good place to go if you had decided you wanted to coast along, and do a minimal amount of work. But my interview, and my subsequent job experience proved otherwise.

MasterCard is full of bright people, who are energetic and know the industry. With rare exception, I was impressed by the people I met, their backgrounds and the competency they brought to the tasks at hand.

For people who are interested in the payments space, it's a great place to work.

Cons

On the other hand, I would say that MasterCard is unnecessarily bureaucratic for an organization of its size. Because of the incentive system and other factors, there's a lot of turf battles, less than needed coordination, and inefficiencies. However, there is a concerted effort (and there has been for many years) to change that.

The IPO appeared to also change how the business was run--more risk adversion, more of a short term focus, more attention to boosting the daily stock price.

Advice to Management

Stop being so risk adverse and allowing HR and Legal to run the business. Create better coordination by revising the incentive structure and individual objectives.

2. "MasterCard is a tough place to work and get ahead!"

Former Employee - Director in Purchase, NY
    Former Employee - Director in Purchase, NY

Pros

MasterCard offers a good place to balance work and home life. If you like to work 9-5 with very little stress, this the company to work for.

Cons

MasterCard likes to clean house every quarter and never announces it in the media. They do not like to re-hire former employees. Access to major highways is a bonus.

Advice to Management

Senior Management shoud spend more time intercating with employees. Bring in new managers that have not worked in the old "payments assocation" business model.