Mastery Charter School - High Standards | Glassdoor

"High Standards"

Current Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Mastery Charter School full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, a good amount of support from the top, potential for job growth

Cons

Can be very demanding and stressful

Other Employee Reviews for Mastery Charter School

"Make sure you are completely aligned to their model and are a worker who enjoys being told exactly what to do."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Clear data in terms of your student performance. Clarity regarding exactly what will be on the formative tests. All Mastery get-togethers. Great if you are a new teacher with a ton of time to commit and want to improve your basic instructional techniques.

Cons

Mastery is still expanding at a fast pace leaving little time to take seriously any innovation in regards to figuring out how to make their schools sustainable places of employment for adults who have families or want a dynamic life outside of their work days. Fast expansion also means that central leadership message becomes one of command and control rather than inquiry. Quick success seems to have created pressure NOT to change anything right now. If innovation is part of your motivation, then now is not the right time to work here.

Advice to Management

Stop expanding and start breaking new ground for making your schools places where teachers can work for a lifetime. Otherwise, you risk becoming another white-collar sweatshop that hires cheap young labor and burns them out, but has an effective training model in place to compensate by hiring new ones. Such a focus will also mean you are able to innovate beyond the basics delivered by direct instruction and instead add an additional model to the teaching approach that takes students to a level of critical thinking, reflection, and self-management.

2. "teacher"

I worked at Mastery Charter School full-time

Pros

Amazing professional development - the time they devote to deep diving into content strengthened me as a teacher hands down. Some of the hardest working teachers I have ever worked with are employed here.

Cons

Stress- this was the hardest teaching I have ever done. Depending on which school - there is a lot of trauma and behavioral issues that run deep in the student body. This is a challenge in itself as a teacher - not impossible, but difficult. To add to that already heavy task, the pressure for testing, and observations is intense and in my opinion way over done. There were few days I went home feeling great - I felt worn down, overly critiqued, and emotionally drained.

Advice to Management

Lessen observations focus more on lifting teachers up and encouraging creative teaching rather than robotic soldiers.