MathWorks - Love this job | Glassdoor

"Love this job"

I have been working at MathWorks full-time

Pros

+ Great atmosphere and great people
+ I get to work with a product that people are doing incredible things with
+ Company has had incredible growth throughout its history, and its great to be part of a successful organization
+ Lots of help from my managers
+ I feel my voice is heard, and my team has changed how they do things in a few areas based on some of my feedback
+ Lots of interaction and lateral movement between departments
+ We live our core values on a daily basis, they're not just words on a webpage

Cons

+ The policy of teamwork and collaboration can sometimes go too far resulting in too many meetings.
+ Things can be slow to change sometimes. However I've learned there's a good reason for everything MathWorks does. Nothing exists simply because "that's the way it is". If you don't like the way something is done, my advice is to first learn the reasoning behind why it is done that way.
+ I guess there isn't much room for promotion, but I'm not sure what people expect. I was hired into an entry level position and if I was promoted five times I'd be the CEO. Can't provide more room for promotions without adding more layers of management!
+ In some areas we can be more reactive than proactive towards meeting technology trends, but only in some areas.

Advice to Management

Cut down on the meetings and be more proactive towards our market.

Other Employee Reviews for MathWorks

"Overall Value Is Fine, which Isn't True in China"

Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company's core value at headquarters is not only eloquent, but also practical and realistic, and taken by so many employees working over there. Plus, the product is heavenly brilliant.

Cons

And yet, the core value and corporate culture seem not to be disseminated very well around the world, at least in China. The management is China is bureaucratic, chaotic, and unfair, which has been arousing increasing dissatisfaction of many employees.

Advice to Management

Adapt its culture as per different culture around the world, and really push the implementation of its core value globally.

"Bright people, continual learning, great products & diverse applications - it's why I've stayed so long!"

Current Employee - Technical Manager in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I have been working at MathWorks full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

MathWorks is a great place to work. It's a collaborative environment with bright people. MATLAB & Simulink are great products that really 'make a difference' in the world and have a very broad range of applications in science, engineering, and finance. There are plenty of opportunities to learn and develop, both formally and informally. It's a very stable company that has been profitable since its inception and is growing as fast as it can hire good people! The CEO is a role model for learning and self-improvement; he has personally grown the company from 2 people to over 2500.

Cons

MathWorks don't lead the way in encouraging flexible work options e.g. home-working, part-time working.

Advice to Management

Encourage more integration between the MATLAB and Simulink teams. I believe we can shift a little on flexibility and still maintain our collaborative culture and strong work-ethic.