Matheson Tri-Gas - Lots of policies and procedures that are only adhered to when wanting to hold someone accountable or dispose of someone. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Matheson Tri-Gas

"Lots of policies and procedures that are only adhered to when wanting to hold someone accountable or dispose of someone."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA
Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Matheson Tri-Gas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is stable and looks out for the employee when writing policies and procedures. They pay well and have a chance for advancement.

Cons

Management does not adhere to all policies and procedures. They choose to look over things unless they want to hold you accountable. Then they punish one employee while letting another employee get by unscathed for the same situation.

Advice to Management

Make sure that all of your management get on the same page as your policies and procedures. This system only works if everyone is on the same page.

Other Employee Reviews for Matheson Tri-Gas

"Matheson ruined a profitable business"

I worked at Matheson Tri-Gas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits were good. Pay was fair, higher than some other places. Good people to work with.

Cons

Too much safety BS, Safety more important than customers. Too many conference calls and the outside sales force is micromanaged excessively.
    Quick to shift blame to someone else for accidents. Management too concerned about losing their bonus $$ if the don't achieve their safety goals. Accounts Receivable department is incompetent.

Matheson destroyed the company that they purchased

Advice to Management

Get involved with your people. Get off the conference calls. Stop blaming others when something like an accident happens,

"Under Cover Boss"

Current Employee - Cylinder Shipper in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Cylinder Shipper in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Matheson Tri-Gas full-time

Pros

Great benifets. Good hours. Nice trucks Good plant manager trying to change things for the better.

Cons

Each department has its own agenda; departments don’t cooperate to help other departments get the job done. Huge issue when loading for delivery's

• The dispatcher of the this branch is protecting herself even before helping to achieve the organization’s mission

• There is political in-fighting, with people striving for personal advancement and power.

• Ideas can be killed because they come from the "wrong" person. Ideas will be supported because they are advanced by the "right" person.

• People in their own department spend much of their time protecting their department’s "turf." Hence the extreme Uncomfortable feeling around the fillers and a very negitive attitude of those in charge of getting your cylinders filled. Just leave me alone or stay away from me is the extreme treatment you encounter on a daily basis.

• People in other departments spend so much time protecting their "turf" that they don’t have time to do the work they are responsible to do or help other departments.

• I was treated as though i can’t be trusted after my injury---> .Zero Tolerance for mistakes of any kind very Unrealistic.(Generates fear)

• I was treated as though i didn't have good judgment

• I was rushed to get out of the yard. every day But keep that hush hush Safety first!.

• The work environment included large amounts of unhealthy stress and fear of mistakes. Fear and intimidation of job loss Are large factors that run unchecked. The Organization is top-heavy, while the operating units of the organization tend to be too lean.

• Promotions and raises are more likely to be made on the basis of politics, rather than actual achievements on the job. What was offered to me in my interview after 90 days never happened?

• Top managers are dangerously ill-informed from what is happening on the front lines or in "the field • Internal communications to employees is distorted to reflect what the organization would like to be, rather than what it really is.

• Responsibility for mistakes and failure tends to be denied, and where possible, blame is shifted to others (redirected). Which in my case showed me that its all about CYA thats very sad.• Policies, practices and procedures tend to grow endlessly and to be followed more and more rigidly which generates fear to frontline employees. In closing i will say these are some of the reasons for the high turnover rate but not all. The Bureaucracy" is damaging to this organizations effectiveness. It weakens employee morale and commitment. It divides people within this organization against each other, and misdirects their energy into conflict or competition with each other instead of the mission

Advice to Management

Ask frontline employees what is really going on....Get in under cover