Mattel - Great company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mattel

"Great company to work for"

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in New York, NY
Former Intern - Marketing Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Mattel as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at Mattel. It was both a creative and collaborative work environment. Even as an intern my ideas and opinions were valued, and I was treated as an equal team member.

Cons

I really cannot think of very many negatives about working here. It did feel very corporate at times, and that we were having to go through certain motions to merely comply with the corporation's standards.

Other Employee Reviews for Mattel

"Sweet slow moving Grandpa of the toy industry"

Current Employee - Senior Producer in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Producer in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Mattel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mattel tries so hard to be good to it's employees. In order to build in El Segundo, they had to make a deal with L.A. to adjust their hours to reduce traffic around LAX. Therefore both Mattel and Fisher Price get half day Fridays. Many employee events. Lots of events for families and kids.

Cons

The entire company reports to the CEO, therefore carefully researched decisions can be changed on a whim. Great deal of paranoia about other companies, and ironically, their own employees. Mattel works years to get something on the shelf and three months later, there is is by another company at half the price. They need to be a little more fast moving. It's a young world out there.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at your Managers. Many of them are from other industries and so poorly suited for their roles. Open up your world and trust your employees and they will bring you good work. Go for quality, rather than junk for quick profit (Barbie DVDs... need I say more?). Be a leader in the marketplace, not a panicked follower.

"Fisher-Price is expendable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Aurora, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Aurora, NY

I worked at Mattel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits; Good vacation time; 10 days off at Christmas; Half-day Fridays; Fitness center; Cafeteria; Discount cards for Toy store (for friends & family); and the people are amazing!

Cons

--Mattel does not understand the culture at Fisher-Price, nor have they tried. By virtue of the products they make, FP has to market to moms, and Mattel has never, ever figured out how different that is than selling to older kids.
    --The El Segundo HQ has always looked-down their noses at the Fisher-Price campus, making us feel perpetually like unwanted step-children.
    --The brand has not changed with the times, and is dying. Cuts to marketing budgets did not give the relaunch of the brand the best chance to flourish, and they haven’t given it enough time to work. So what do they do? Reorganize! (They reorganize every 18 to 24 months.)
    --The brand is no longer relevant because a handful of SVPs have micro-managed product and marketing to point that nothing is new or fresh.
    --The disparity between senior management and staff is significant, and most people do not feel as if top management knows what’s going on.
    --If you know somebody or happen to have a supportive boss, then you get promoted. If your boss checked-out years ago and is waiting for his “package,” then you go nowhere.
    --Mattel keeps saying they are committed to staying in East Aurora, NY (where Fisher-Price was founded), yet they keep chipping away at the functions housed there piece by piece. The last 6 or 7 years have been hellish.
    --I predict Mattel will shut-down the East Aurora campus , and that as a brand, Fisher-Price will become meaningless.

Advice to Management

--First and foremost, stop trying to mold Fisher-Price into your idea of what a toy company should be. It doesn't fit and it never has. Give them the tools, money and time to do their own thing and see if it works, because what you've implemented has not worked!
    --There is a group of long-standing senior management that needs to go!
    --Provide adequate resources instead of heaping more and more work on fewer and fewer people.
    --Actually train managers to manage people properly.
    --Add some fun back into the workplace. (It’s a toy company; it’s supposed to be fun!)
    --And guys, if you do decide to move the brand to California, do it soon and spare a lot of really good people the anguish of lay-off rumors every other week.