Mattress Firm - Great people with great attitudes = a great place to work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mattress Firm

"Great people with great attitudes = a great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

You will enjoy working with almost every single person in this company. I've worked here for over 12 years and I was listened too, trained, helped, and given responsibility no matter what position I held. I've had Regional V.P.'s call and ask for advice when I was only a Store Manager. I've also been able to reach out to ANY person for help or advice regardless of position. From the Training Dept. to I.T. or from Sales to Merchandising every department works together to be successful. Want to work in a company where they care? Work here.

Cons

The hours can be harsh. Expect to work major holidays like the 4th of July or Memorial Day as these are very, very busy times for Mattress FIrm. Of course, in sales, this is when you can make some very good money. Also, the work life balance can be tough. Not getting off until 8pm ,means you can miss out on some family time.

Advice to Management

Keep working on improving the work life balance.

Other Employee Reviews for Mattress Firm

"Better place to work if you aren't planning a family or marriage"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Advancement Opportunity is there. You have to be willing to work 10 hour shifts. If you are in a high market or busy store, it can be very rewarding.

Cons

Long shifts, 10 hour days aren't bad, but they can get to you during the slow periods. I have gone days without seeing any customers. Compensation can be confusing. Overtime is a mess.

Advice to Management

Fix overtime, fix compensation to be more fair, stop opening so many stores so close to each other.

"Average Experience"

Former Employee - Manager On Duty in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager On Duty in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

- managerial experience
    - industry leader
    - great policies
    - brand recognition

Mattress Firm is a pretty good job for a person right out of college or that want to get their feet wet in sales. The training is above average and its not a super hard job to get like other entry level sales jobs that aren't commission only. You get a draw salary($2650) a month which isn't bad if you a young and/or single.

Cons

- long hours
    - high turnover rate
    - work/life balance is horrible

The only way to consistantly make draw is to be placed at a top store. Also to become an area manager or move up in the company you usually have to move/relocate. Mattress Firm recently aquired Mattress Giant so now there are 3 stores in the area and some are within half a mile of one another. This creates tension among sales reps and encourage undercutting each other.

Turnover is what really hurts the company. New hires work at different stores every day and if they perform well then they are made managers at the worst stores. Its easy to get burned out or bored working this job especially if you aren't at a good store. This is a job to help someone gain experience or collect a check until something better comes along, nothing more nothing less.

Advice to Management

-implement programs that will help retain new hires to prevent the revolving door

- make draw more attainable (there has been instances where reps can be 120% to budget for a period and still fall short of draw

- Stop making us bite the blow on customer returns

- pay better commissions.... I've sold a $5,000 bed and have only received $120 in commissions toward draw because the customer financed the bed for 4 years