Mattress Firm - Great Growth Opportunity | Glassdoor

"Great Growth Opportunity"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay can be great during the months you hit draw and depending on which store you are in. Your coworkers are generally awesome and upper management can be great as well. The culture of the company is great and there is plenty of opportunity to grow. It is not the easiest to get off of the sales floor though but there is opportunity.

Cons

The hours are terrible and you do not get holidays off. Can be hard to even get a weekend off. And it is impossible to call in sick if you cannot find someone to cover your store

Advice to Management

Do split shifts. Find a way to give employees at least an hour lunch break. 10 hour work days when you are in a store by yourself with no breaks can be very stressful and depressing

Apr 29, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

Thanks so much for your review! I can assure you that scheduling is high on our radar.

Other Employee Reviews for Mattress Firm

"A Company with Values"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company wants you to succeed.
    Lots of training.
    You get out of it what you put into it.
    Management is accessible and helpful.
    There are many growth roles that you can get into.
    There is a real community feel.
    The company gives back consistently to various causes.

Cons

The retail world has a large requirement of time. It isn't exclusive to Mattress Firm. But if your aren't prepared it can be tough.
    Working around the holidays is another requirement that isn't “fun.”

Advice to Management

I have been a Store Manager in Jacksonville for almost three years now. I was promoted to one of the eight Area Manager positions after just over a year of experience. Along the way I have received some of the best hands on training that I have ever experienced. I came into this job with very little background in sales but they helped mold me into an effective communicator, and a sales person who really cares about the guests who come in the door. The company does a very good job of getting me excited to come to work every day. Mattress Firm really allows you to go as far as you want to. The more effort you put into it, the more the company puts their trust in you.
    If I were to offer any advice to the company I would love to see more training of the upper management. I always want to be getting better at what I do and if there were more opportunities to prepare for the next level I would have taken advantage of them.
    My overall experience with the company has been very positive. I feel I get paid well for the work that I do. I feel supported by my boss, as well as his boss. I do not feel micromanaged. I feel trusted. That's really all I can ask of a company.

Apr 14, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

Thanks so much for your feedback! We really appreciate it and thanks for your valued employment!

"great company"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good pay, family/team atmoisphere, some creative freedom, easy to move up, lots of vacation time, same day delivery, discounts and/or free $4000 mattresses!! :)

Cons

When customers get upset with you. Keeping track of inventory is a challenge at a busy clearance center.

Advice to Management

Hire people to count stores inventory would put more focus on sales and reduce shrink at the same time.

Apr 29, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

Thanks for your review and more importantly for your 10+ years at Mattress Firm!