Mattress Firm - Crazy to say it, but I Love my Job! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mattress Firm

"Crazy to say it, but I Love my Job!"

Current Employee - Mattress Firm Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
Current Employee - Mattress Firm Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mattress Firm has been an incredible vehicle for my own personal and professional growth. The company truly cares about its employees and wants them to be happy. Pay is great especially entry-level and just out of college.
I honestly feel that I will retire with this company and I am only 25 years old. I have been given many professional opportunities in my market such as a growth role to hone my own training and management skills.
And the best part? We are always doing something in the community. I grew up in Scouting so charity is very important to me. I love going to work and helping the community with my co-workers.

Cons

Hours can be long. I would find it boring if I weren't so busy finding ways to improve myself and further my career. Not being able to spend certain holidays with family is tough, but that's what it takes to get where you want to be.

Advice to Management

I love the new Rejuven8, 8 days off program. Thank you for valuing the employees that stick with the company.
I just had a guest ask about twin size headboards. I hope this can be in our future.
Steve, Ken, Sam, Abby, Cory, Matt (And Many more): You are all amazing and inspirational. Keep up the excellent work!

Apr 29, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

Love your passion and enthusiasm from Indianapolis! You are certainly an integral part of why this company is great! Thanks for your hard work and your feedback.

Other Employee Reviews for Mattress Firm

"The Real "Culture" is Favoritism"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It pays more than minimum wage.

Cons

Management is a joke. The company does not promote on ability or performance. Veteran (older) more experienced sales people tend to be passed up for better locations and/or promotions due to what the company calls a "culture-fit". This equates to playing favorites.
    The company does store placements and promotions based on subjective things like attitude, likability, appearances, perceived image, etc. Even when a person has better numbers, stronger sales skills, and more management experience they will be passed up if the district manager likes someone better.
    It's all about favoritism.

Advice to Management

Promotions should be on ability; not likability.

Jun 27, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

We're sorry to hear you have negative feelings about your management. I would welcome you to reach out to me with specifics on your feedback about promotions.

"Great training, horrible work life balance."

Former Employee - Mattress Firm Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Mattress Firm Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked here for 3 years. The training for this job is excellent. They really do train one to become a sales professional, with constant support to hone your skills as you advance. The salary starts at $30,000 base, then you receive a percentage of your sales gross dollars dependent on margin to make any kind of decent commission (you also have to exceed $2500 worth of commission, or, beat your monthly salary, to earn $1.00 in commission. The harder you work for you customers the larger the return. Most of the people I worked with were pretty fun, hold decent events throughout the year and the vendors were always pretty cool. I met some good people at this company. You can expect to see your earnings increase annually with experience. Every year I added 10K to my pay. See guys make 80-100K on the sales floor. Expect 30-40K your first year if you have no experience. Ability for promotions and advancement are outstanding. Many of my co-workers have been promoted, but you usually have to work hard and earn it.

Cons

Since employees receive a salary, the company over works everybody to the point of exhaustion. I've pulled 75 hr weeks plus, as well as worked 10+ straight days more than one time. No holidays with family its all work, and they have vacation blackout days during holidays. There is slight nepotism among the higher ups for promotions. They insist on a workplace culture which is all too many times creepy. You will be asked to hate your competitors instead of being in a friendly competition with them. We all have to work, its wrong to make the competitions employees out to be scumbags when they're doing the same exact thing. If sales that are not returned drops below 95%, it will take money out of your paycheck. Sales atmosphere is kind of cheesy, it feels like a used car sale and the stores look like a wal-mart mattress store.

Advice to Management

Have enough staff to give people some kind of a life. Cut down holiday sales hours to give people time with family, since thats what your "culture" is always talking about with MOD's and store managers. Stop harping on margin so much, if we get the sale and make a profit within a decent margin than there should be no concern. Do not micromanage the ins and outs of us store managers, we need some independence to work within our territory.

May 13, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

Thank you for your review and your 3 years of service to Mattress Firm.