Mattress Firm - Store Manager/ Area Trainer | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mattress Firm

"Store Manager/ Area Trainer"

Former Employee - Store Manager/Area Trainer in Miami, FL
Former Employee - Store Manager/Area Trainer in Miami, FL

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked for Mattress Firm right out of college and I was highly impressed by the training and the quality of people the company employs. The selling skills I learned at Mattress Firm have helped me further my career in many ways. I loved this company and felt appreciated. Not to mention they have the best product in the industry. Room for advancement is very possible with hard work and commitment.

Pay is in line with jobs in the industry and I think that the training and the investment made by the company in your development as a sales professional is extremely valuable.

I no longer work for them, but I recommend this company to anyone looking for a mattress or for great sales training and experience.

I'll end my long review with this. My wife's father passed away (girlfriend at the time) while I was away from home at one of the training's in Houston. I told the company and they immediately put me on a flight to take care of my wife. A month later they flew me back to finish the training I had missed due to my family emergency. I don't know if I ever said thank you, but here it is. Any company that is willing to take care of employees this way should be applauded. I will always respect and recommend Mattress Firm.

Cons

The hours can be long and if you are a person that always wants action then this might not be the job for you.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people through training and development. They might not work for you forever, but they might become life long customers like myself.

Jun 12, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

Thanks so much for the review and for the 'thank you'. We're glad you had a positive experience while working here and appreciate you taking the time to leave us a note. Hope all is well!... More

Other Employee Reviews for Mattress Firm

"A good place to work, a hard place to start a career."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You aren't on your feet all day so it is a great place for someone looking for a slower paced job. I have some great coworkers, some of the best I have ever had. Getting commission on top of your base pay is really helpful as well!

Cons

Even though you aren't always busy, 10 hour days are long! The worst part is that during sales you work extended hours! One week I worked 63 hours, and since there is no overtime you have to hope you sale something in order to make up for the LONG week! They would have sales on cheap beds but would get on to you for selling them. One of my coworkers said it the best, "if you advertise crap you are going to get people looking for crap". The worst thing I believe hands down is the saturday meetings. The meeting would start at 8 but on average is 30 mins away from you at a centralized location. Breakfast was served at 7:30 so if you wanted it you had to get there even earlier. So for most people that means getting up around 6:30-6:40 to get ready and make it there, then work until 8pm and again drive about 30 mins to get home. That makes for an unbelievably long day regardless of what type of job you have. This is bad enough but the meetings are sooooo pointless! Last meeting we had we talked about pillow execution. This was something that could have been expressed through email or during our weekly meeting with the area manager. Oh wait, that is exactly what happened!!! On the following wednesday the area managers came to the store and talked about the SAME THING!!!

Advice to Management

We sale sleep, so don't have your employees work 10hr, 12hr, 8hr, and 12hr days back to back! Its hard to talk about how important sleep is when your employees look like the walking dead.

Jun 27, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

We sincerely appreciate your feedback from OKC. I will share this feedback with our senior leadership. We do pay out overtime when necessary, assuming you clock in and out so we can account for your... More

"Boring but it's a great place to start like I did."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Mattress Firm full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay for the little amount of work you do. Fun when you get a guest willing to learn and enjoy the experience.

Cons

You see very few customers a day. Some days you could see nobody (10 hour day) in the store.
    Hard to keep yourself engaged all day.
    Have to work holidays / weekends.

Advice to Management

Focus sales campaign/marketing more locally not nationally.

Jun 27, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

Thanks for the review and feedback! I will share your feedback with our senior leadership team. Hope all is well in St. Louis!