Mattress Firm - It's more than just selling mattresses. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mattress Firm

"It's more than just selling mattresses."

Current Intern - Executive Sales in Atlanta, GA
Current Intern - Executive Sales in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Mattress Firm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The experienece I had interning for Mattress Firm was something that turned into a hobby rather than being an "internship"

My experience was more than just selling beds. As an intern, I was able to work on multiple projects and even had the opportunity to work on a community service project that helped local students get school supplies.

Interview Process: The interview process was really simple and straight forward. I believe I had 1 phone interview, and 1 on-site interview and a week later I was informed of my acceptance.

Training: Amazing training. I knew nothing about mattresses but I was still able to excel in my role. The best part about Mattress Firm's training is that they care about you giving the best experience possible to your guest first, and then learning about the beds. You'll be surrounded with resources who are there to help you succeed.

Day to Day: Your day will have a lot of downtime but you can always find ways to be productive and improve your knowledge of the products, and role-play with your co-workers to fully be able to uncover your guest's needs. What you put in, is what you get.

Pay: I don't want to go into detail about their pay structure but as an intern, I was very satisfied because give you the opportunity to get paid hourly & make commission on top. Can't complain!

Promotion: This company will give you all the opportunities in the world to be promoted. If you do more than just clock in, and clock out, you'll be given an opportunity to grow within the company. Matter of fact, one of the interns from summer 2013, got hired full time right after her internship ended, and got her own store 7-8 months later. Great company if you want to move up the ladder.

Culture: Keep in mind that in the end, this is still a sales based company. Your paycheck (depending on position) is mostly based on how well you sell. With that being said, the culture at Mattress Firm reminded me of Google. We did the harlem shake and a bunch of other fun videos as projects.

Your co-workers will always give you a shout out and congratulate you whether you sell a $70 frame or a $13,000 bed. - Yes, some people do spend that much on a good nights sleep!

As interns, we were able to go out to fun socials, go on multiple boating trips, and even had a nice farewell dinner at the end.

All in all, it was a great experience. Couldn't have asked for a better internship. I not only learned a lot, but I was able to use those same tools/skills outside of work too.

Cons

It's a retail position so expect to work long hours, weekends, and holidays. However as an intern, we barely ever went over 40 hours.

Your paycheck is mainly based on how well you can sell - this can be a good thing, or a bad thing.

You may find that 1 person who is selfish and only cares about themselves. You just have to keep a positive attitude and know that many more people are wanting you to succeed and are there for support.

Guys will have to wear a shirt and tie everyday - Again, can be a good thing, or a bad thing. Depends on you.

Advice to Management

I hope you guys continue to create a fun environment at work especially during trainings. Keep supporting the interns and help them succeed!

Mattress Firm Response

Jul 9, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

Wow! What a nice review of your internship. We certainly appreciate your detailed feedback on the good and the bad of the program. We're so glad you joined us for the summer and hope all is well in ... More

Other Employee Reviews for Mattress Firm

1. "Great Place to Work!"

Pros

Great Pay, Largest Mattress retailer, Great Benefits, and widespread opportunity for growth. We also have great leadership teams in place to help you be able to advance to wherever you want to go in the company.

Cons

Work life balance gets a little upset, but it's something you will be able to work on when you get the hang of things.

"I truly love my job!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Mattress Firm full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I absolutely love the culture here at Mattress Firm. The leadership team from the Area Managers all the way up to CEO is easily approachable, truly eager to listen and help me grow not only career wise but also personally. Mattress Firm leadership team remembers me by name and always asks about my family's well being! I feel like I am a valued employee and I can make a difference in the lives around me. Our company is not in the mattress business we are in the people business- we have a chance to positively effect the lives that come through the door whether it's the first big girl bed etc.

Cons

I would say the most challenging thing is the retail hours. The company recognized this was a challenge and has reduced the hours which was a huge win in my book and makes me love this place even more!

Mattress Firm Response

Jul 9, 2014 – Vice President Talent Management

Hello to you in Melbourne and thanks for the great review! Glad to hear you enjoy the culture and that you feel valued. If you ever have any additional feedback to share, don't hesitate to reach out. ... More