May Institute - Best work experience | Glassdoor

"Best work experience"

Current Employee - Director in Randolph, MA
Current Employee - Director in Randolph, MA

I have been working at May Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission of the company, students/clients you work with, new upper management is genuinely interested in their employees and their needs, room for professional development

Cons

You may get injured at work, lack of communication, lack of on the job training for new employees

Other Employee Reviews for May Institute

"Fomer ABA Therapist"

Former Employee - ABA Therapist in Holden, MA
    Former Employee - ABA Therapist in Holden, MA

I worked at May Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Training, loved working with families and children. The experience I received from this company has definitely set me up for my current position as a special education teacher in a public school setting. I truly enjoyed getting to know the children and families I worked with.

Cons

Too much driving, not enough reimbursement, company tries to be as cheap as possible in paying their employees. No paid time off, no paid sick leave, no money given for reimbursement for supplies. Won't let you bill for the hours of time spent on material creation. If its bad weather and you can't drive on the roads, you don't get paid. Your senior therapists always made you feel guilty about having to call out due to weather. I'm sorry, your mean and condescending attitude towards me and other employees doesn't make me want to drive in a foot of snow and possibly die. The company promised to have your cases relatively close to one another, yet I was sometimes driving 200 miles a day, yet only being able to bill for 4 hours.

Senior therapists were extremely condescending to ABA therapists. Very belittling and rude. When you work with special needs children and their families, you need empathy, kindness, personality. You get to know the families and become part of their lives. Certain senior therapists would get on my case for asking how the family was, or asking about their child, i.e., "How did Halloween go? Are they adjusting to their new home? How's their daily routine going? I'm so sorry to hear about Grandma passing away, how are you?" etc. When you are working in someone's home, everyday, you get to know them on more of a personal level. I was not going beyond the professional boundaries by any means, but I wanted families to feel that I cared about them and their child. That I was not a robot, to come in, express no kindness or concern, take up room in their home and their lives, and leave without sincerity.

I am a dedicated professional, who has received many compliments from my employers and families that I work with. My sincerity and true dedication to my students and families, as well as my warm personality, has made me requested by administration in my county, as well as by families who look forward to my working with them. I take pride in that. I'm just glad I found an employer who also stands by the same principles I do.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. We work in the positive reinforcement field, give some positive reinforcement to your employees, before they quit, like I did.

2. "Rewarding job in a caring environment."

Current Employee - Direct Care
    Current Employee - Direct Care

I have been working at May Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to help disabled individuals acheive goals at home and in the community=a rewarding and fufilling career.

Cons

Wages not great. Need to work a part-time job also.
    Lots of repetition in forms and paperwork. Asking the same questions over and over=wasted time.

Advice to Management

Recent changes have been well received.