May Trucking - Good starter company | Glassdoor

"Good starter company"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Salem, OR
Current Employee - Truck Driver in Salem, OR

Pros

Understanding that sometimes its not possible to make on time delivery and pick up.customer service works well on getting appointments changed when needed. most of the time we run hard miles and long days but thats what I'm paid to do. Home time is another good thing.i choose to stay out longer then some drivers but when I'm ready for time off my dispatchers does everything she can to get me there on or around the time I request. Rider policy is also very nice.

Cons

Trucks are goverened at 61 mph. may company drivers drive new aero dynamic trucks such as 387,t700, and the new pete 587. I'm a fan of old long nose petes. The other problem is they promise dock detention and layover pay just don't expect to see it in you're pay. Electronic log books can be a pain until you get used to them.

Advice to Management

When a driver says the load planned on them will be cutting it close to make on time trust us. We plan a lot and figure in traffic, weather, mountains. I know you plan loads based on 55 mph but sometimes we can't even do that. If we could run aleast 65mph we could deliver more loads and make more on time appointments. And please pay us our dock detention and layover. It aint our fault it can sometimes quite a few hours to unload. And at times that will cost us loosing the next load.

Other Employee Reviews for May Trucking

"Keep and open mind in this industry..."

Current Employee - Company Driver in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Denver, CO

I have been working at May Trucking full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My Driver Manager really worked with me and helped me as I broke into the industry. I am grateful May gave me the opportunity to break into this industry as an ELD (entry level driver). If I had to do it again, I'd pick May to start my career with. Allows ELDs to chose between flat rate pay and cpm. If working under flat rate pay, you get a "bonus" check for miles driven over their 300mile/day average at the end of each quarter. My first check was $1200 which they split into two pay dates to elevate higher taxes being taken from my earning.

Cons

Like ALL the other companies out there, May is doing EVERYTHING they can to maximize profits and minimize expenses.

Advice to Management

Make sure you're doing EVERYTHING you can to attract and hire compotent ELDs. Make sure Safety is not cutting corners to accept drivers who really shouldn't be handling this equipment and doing this job. Send them down the road to Swift or C.R. England! Your reputation and profits are riding on it!

2. "May trucking office"

I worked at May Trucking full-time

Pros

Co workers. Can show or leave when you want. If you have no talent they want you.

Cons

Everything else. Pay is stagnant. Constant mobility promises that never happen. HR has no confidentiality.

Advice to Management

It is not 2008. You are lucky your employee's are lazy.