Cover image for Mayer Brown

Current Employee

Great Place to Work!

Jul 13, 2022 - IT Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Treat you like a professional! They take care of their own!

Cons

Not a thing at the moment!

Be the first to find this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Bonuses are a step behind Market

Aug 25, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Base compensation is usually indexed to market.

Cons

Hours requirements for bonuses outside NYC are behind market.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Current Employee

Toxic

Sep 7, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

None that can be expressed.

Cons

Culture – Simply toxic. If you are not firm leadership, a partner, an attorney, an associate, or a secretary, you will be abused as an employee without any regard for employee rights. Your reporting manager will remind you that they will always take the side of the firm and will never back you or your team, and you will be promised benefits in your offer letter, such as work-from-home opportunities, which never will come to fruition. Firm employees walk past our area of the office to openly discredit our knowledge and assistance, also they refer to us as unintelligent – these comments being made to our faces. You may find that only a fraction of employees will interact with you in the hallways when you wish them good morning, say hello, etc. – this is normal practice within the firm. Employees will stop talking when I enter the elevator, and begin talking about random things unrelated to work immediately after I exit the elevator, as if I am part of a peasant group that cannot be part of any social interactions between employees. Departmental supervisory staff likes to make fun of individual’s cultural differences and their use of figure-of-speech statements, usually to the employee’s face. When these topics were brought up to management, they pointed out that the employees in question have long, tenured employee records with the firm, and will not be punished for their actions. They also added that they cannot compel their employee base to be considerate and kind to one another in an office setting. This inaction allows the firm to harbor an extremely hostile workplace environment. I asked about and focused on the firm’s culture during my interview process, since I came from other organizations which harbored the same or worse when it came to unsavory cultures. I was essentially lied to when I was told that it was as close to a utopian experience as possible when it came to the firm’s culture. It is the antithesis of a utopian experience. Human Resources – During my hiring process, the firm performed a required background check. The background check contractor which represents the law firm during this process uses individuals that sit outside of the country to execute the investigation process, and are not fluent in reading/writing/interpreting the English language. Besides the obvious, glaring, potentially unlawful point that my sensitive, personal data has been shared with individuals outside of the United States which could be used in a malicious manner, this allowed for a communication breakdown which causes erroneous feedback and information to be passed back to the firm’s Human Resources department, which inevitably happened in my case. The background check process also took over two weeks. I was trying to exit my previous employer, who was unhappy that I was not in agreement with any of their extended counter-offers, and my previous employer continued to receive repeated phone calls and inquiries about my employment information from my new employer during my notice and exit period. My previous employer saw this as a gloating situation and asked me to leave during my notice period, and I highly doubt that I can use them as a useful reference in the future because of this adverse offboarding scenario. The HR management walks the halls and floors like Negan from The Walking Dead; they act as if they are the most important individuals in the firm. Some hold minute amounts of people-skills, yet they are somehow part of HR management. If you are being slighted as an employee in any way – get used to it. HR management is personal confidants or personal friends of the departmental top brass within the firm. Technology – This firm is in the 19th Century when it comes to technology. I’m surprised that they do not use tablets, chisels, carrier pigeons, or the abacus. The firm still functions with an on-premise Exchange environment; they have yet to convert to Office365. In my extensive career, I have never witnessed such an unhurried move towards Office365. Their security systems are antiquated, they still utilize RSA for multi-factor authentication which is considered a dinosaur when it comes to more efficient solutions in the security space. They do not have an asset management solution; they simply buy hardware aimlessly, and have no true plan to track hardware. They consistently purchase specific brand laptops and docks which have known, consistent hardware conflicts and issues which cause unnecessary support tickets. Benefits – For the staff that work in the office, the firm provides two boxed lunches – one on Tuesday, one on Thursday; and one afternoon snack on Wednesday. Sounds great, right? It really isn’t. Attorneys/associates, secretaries, and anyone who is not considered part of the “general pop” regularly takes two boxed lunches and snacks against the direction of one lunch/snack per person. Employees regularly take one lunch from the Wacker office building, and then head over to the Monroe building to obtain a second lunch or snack, or brazenly take two from whatever office they work in. Furthermore, certain groups of employees get a “head-start” when lunches and snacks are delivered, well before any email notification is sent out notifying the staff that lunches and snacks can be picked up. Each floor gets a snack bowl in their kitchen area, but it’s frequently picked over by the secretaries and attorneys almost as immediately as it is put out for the staff, which leaves everyone else with…. Sun Chips and Chex Mix. In my role, I regularly found myself too busy to be part of this rabid competition for food, which has left me at times without a firm provided lunch or snack(s). Primarily because when I would have the free time to obtain something, all offered food choices would be gone. Management found this to be humorous when I made mention of the topic, and attempted to gaslight me by saying, “Too bad, so sad…go buy your own lunch then”. Work-from-home decisions are made on a case-by-case basis within my team, which goes against the verbiage of my offer letter. However, the only person on my team who is deemed eligible to work from home is the particular team member who has kids and a family to support. All other employees on my team who do not have kids or a family to support are denied the chance to work from home. My team, while short-staffed, could have easily implemented a rotating schedule where teammates could work-from-home on occasion. I found this to be highly discriminatory and oppressive, but not surprising that a “too big to fail” white-shoe law firm would be the bully – to believe that they could posture and perform this action, and the perception would be that no one would be able to do anything about it. Compensation – Probably the only good thing about the firm, however they overpay you because they fully realize that the working environment is so negative and acidic, that a financial incentive has to be provided to hire and retain employees that will tolerate the culture and the environment. You work 7.5 hours a day, and receive early time off on the days leading up to a holiday. Nine observed holidays. There’s no 401k match, they call it a year-end 401k bonus contribution where they provide an amount between 1% - 7% of your yearly salary into the retirement fund. They promote a year-end bonus of 5% of your salary. Concerning the medical insurance plan, employee premiums are weighted according to your salary. If you make over $100k, expect to pay more than other employees. Pretty basic stuff. If you look to leave, they likely will offer you a counter-offer. Essentially, this firm just likes throwing money at problems versus fixing issues the correct way. If you do not accept their counter-offer, they will accept your two-weeks’ notice, and require you to perform the “grunt work” within your department. They tasked me with the same tasks as the interns assigned to my department. You would be better served to not give notice, and quit the moment you are ready to transition out. Unless your end-game is to accept a counter-offer. Mentorship – The team that I am a part of is a small team, and is consistently under-staffed. I am aware that this perpetual situation makes it challenging to receive intensive training and mentoring when the mentors on the team have their own work to do. But this situation left me in a state of perpetual flux. I was not able to understand the methods and procedures required to properly perform my daily work because my mentors were regularly not available when I needed their assistance. Again, this is of no fault of the mentors and team staff members that are put in charge to provide assistance; however, it is a fault of management to not allow for mentoring and proper training to take place, or to craft an intelligent plan to allow for mentoring or training. Furthermore, I do not have proper accesses to systems that are paramount in performing my daily tasks. Any related work essentially has to be “parked”, to be performed by another team member who has the proper access. Maybe your experience will be different if you are hired on as an Associate or an Attorney, but if one is hired as part of the administrative staff, I don’t believe that it will be a smooth transition. Maybe my experience was a one-off, but everyone else I spoke with at the firm about the culture wholly agreed with my interpretation. My team told me to run; combined with my own experiences, I’m glad I acted when I did.

Continue reading
    3 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Mayer Brown.

Mayer Brown Photos