Mayo Clinic - Used to be good, going downhill very fast | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mayo Clinic

"Used to be good, going downhill very fast"

Former Employee - Allied Health in Rochester, MN
Former Employee - Allied Health in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They payed well in my field, otherwise I would have never stayed so long.

Cons

Where do I start? Mayo used to be a pretty good workplace, unfortunately it's been changing for the worse since the early 00's. The workload is increasing exponentially, and the hiring doesn't follow. Useless training, procedural steps and policies are constantly piling up, without improving workflow or productivity (think of the movie "Office Space"). Good employees are getting completely demotivated and burned out, lazy employees know they can get away with doing hardly any work , since Mayo never fires for poor performance. A supervisor once told me with a straight face that some employees in her unit were trained only for the easier duties only because they couldn't handle the complexity of the task / the workload / the stress. It would imply that more capable and smarter co-workers were expected to pick up the slack..... for the same pay. I finally realized things were not likely to improve, even if I transfered to another unit (I am not saying that there are absolutely no well-managed work units at Mayo, but they are excessively rare). I am now living in a different state. I make about 60% of what I was making at Mayo, but in return I am keeping my health and my sanity.

Advice to Management

Please at least keep your lies straight! It is rather insulting to be told that there is no authorization to hire new staff to keep up with a 400% increase in workload, but three weeks later, get the announcement that there will be a technical specialist added to the team, who will do zero hands-on, work and for whom there is absolutely no need, since we were doing our own troubleshooting for years.

Other Employee Reviews for Mayo Clinic

"Not my best career move"

Current Employee - Clinical Lab Technologist in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Clinical Lab Technologist in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent place for a recent grad to get some experience out of college
    Pays well for market

Cons

Management hires people w/o plan in place on how to train, etc.
    Very little movement between areas inside the firm (easier to move up within your group)
    Company does not do much to retain quality employees (no plan in place to do so)
    Seems like they see your entire resume before they hire you but once you are here, it is almost like the part of your resume longer exists (only what you do here counts)
    Depends on the company's name too much to get/keep you

Advice to Management

Perhaps consider hiring management with some experience of the area. Hiring someone who has no prior knowledge of the area seems to make the area look a little bit underexperienced.

2. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great health benefits, mix of small town and metropolitan lifestyles.

Cons

Midwest backdrop makes for a slightly slower pace of life/work.