Mayo Clinic - An amazing company in every regard--patient experience, career mobility, commitment to staff and mission-driven. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mayo Clinic

"An amazing company in every regard--patient experience, career mobility, commitment to staff and mission-driven."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Investment in employees in every regard--stability, career mobility, salary/benefits, learning/education opportunities, teamwork, industry leader, resources to excel in your job, and on and on and on...

Cons

Culture is not for everyone...but, if you are a fit, it will be your last employer (you won't want to look anywhere else)!

Other Employee Reviews for Mayo Clinic

"Retired Nurse after 25 years at Mayo Clinic"

Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working at Mayo Clinic provided me with a large variety of experiences with many different kinds of patients and rare disease processes. I also learned the differences in working with consultants, residents and fellows, a teaching hospital. Good benefits, nice workout facility. I saw Mayo Clinic change dramatically. There was a huge difference when the Sisters of St. Francis were managing the hospital, they made sure the patient's always got excellent care including the details. The hospital has teams for starting IV's, putting in urinary catheters and drawing labs, as a nurse you can call a team to take care of those things for you. Excellent consultants if you are lucky enough to see them. All of their facilities are very clean and well organized.

Cons

Small but critical things fall through the cracks. Inexperienced Residents are not closely supervised by the consultants. I have experienced this both as a staff member and as a patient. Medications errors by the MD, and when followed up on are brushed under the rug. Discharge summaries that state that the patient is being discharged with home health or hospice care and the discharge planner or MD have not even consulted with the agency, they just tell the patient to call someone when they get home. Patients feel "pushed out the door". They have discharge planning nurses that have never even seen the patient and are making referrals. The clinic is focused on checklists and procedural guidelines that are written by nurses who have not worked with patients for over 20 years. They actually have a committee on committee's, lots of wasted time and money with administration and time and money taken away from quality patient care. I was so proud to work for Mayo....it is sad to see the lack of attention to details. I spent 75% of my time as a staff nurse charting and 25% of my time doing patient care.

Advice to Management

Talk to some of the organizations you discharge patient to, talk to some of your patient's and ask them how you could improve. Have the Social Workers do the discharge planning with the nurse caring for the patient, having the discharge planners is a waste of money and diminishes your credibility.

2. "At Mayo, Patient Care is the #1 Priority"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stability, Decent Salary, Friendly Working Enviroment

Cons

in Rochester Minnesota. Not a lot of activities outside of work

Advice to Management

Need to trim some fat, Mayo!!