Mayo Clinic - Great place for a Laid back person | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mayo Clinic

"Great place for a Laid back person"

Current Employee - Development Technologist in Rochester, MN
Current Employee - Development Technologist in Rochester, MN

Pros

Hired for life...unless you plan to move

Cons

Very laid back work culture. no performance incentives, no aggressive promotions.

Advice to Management

Promote aggressive performance with tangible rewards.

Other Employee Reviews for Mayo Clinic

"Decent place to work, but it really depends on your personality. Most of the time you have to put on a fake personality."

Former Employee - Intern in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Intern in Rochester, MN

Pros

The atmosphere is very laid back, that's for sure. You don't have a manager breathing down your neck, babysitting you. Compensation is pretty good for full-time employees, especially the health care. If you're going to work at the Mayo Clinic in an IT position, don't expect to be too stressed out about work, or staying long hours as long as you're competent enough to get it done on time.

Cons

First of all, getting into Mayo Clinic for a full time position is extremely difficult if you don't have the right connections and lots of patience. The recruitment process there is horrible, as they may put you on hold indefinitely without giving you a word of what's going on. And, in order to get in, you must put on a fake show in such a way as to conform to their standards of personality and behavior. In my experience, not much work was ever really done there, but it was mostly meetings and other things that got in the way of real work.

Advice to Management

Stay on top of the recruiting process, restructure it if you have to. And make the IT department more IT and hire people with actual technical skills rather than schmoozing skills.

"We have the right goals, we just need to figure out how to accomplish them."

Current Employee - Senior Analysis Programmer in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Analysis Programmer in Rochester, MN

Pros

Mayo Clinic has very good work life balance. Mayo's focus is on providing excellent patient care and has built a strong reputation based on the integrated clinical practice, medical education, and medical research. It is very satisfying to work for a company that is clearly making a positive difference for mayo people's lives.

Cons

Mayo, from an IT/IS perspective has some big problems and frustrations. First, our failure rate on projects is much higher than it should be. There are many reasons for this. One is the strict requirements from a development point of view. Mayo has an IT standard called the Target Technical Architecture (TTA). The goal of the TTA is to provide a uniform, consistent IT infrastructure across this organization, a nobel goal. But what it really does is lock us into a set of tools that is out of date, and not optimal for the problems we are trying to solve. This makes work tedious and boring and redundant. When you know there are better solutions, but you are not allowed to use them, it can be very demoralizing. I think it also stifles creativity.
    Another problem is that Mayo's IT infrastructure lacks a good project management and testing group for IT projects.
    One of the most frustrating and demoralizing decisions recently is that all IT staff at Mayo are going to be required to wear business formal. For many of us with no direct patient contact, this makes no sense. It is going to make work more uncomfortable for many of us. Its also expensive for us to have to go out and buy a fancy wardrobe.

Advice to Management

Realize that IT is central to the success of the business. Building the business knowledge and incorporating it into solutions is a complex task. You need to build integrated IT teams similar to the integrated clinical teams that Mayo is built on. The organization, management, and analysis of data at Mayo is too important to hand off to vendors. You need the experts on-site who can put these solutions together and maintain them.