Mayo Clinic - Fantastic environment and benefits, with a few caveats | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mayo Clinic

"Fantastic environment and benefits, with a few caveats"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Rochester, MN
Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits (health insurance, pay ...)
- Mayo's name is well-known and will potentially open doors for your future career
- Certain departments are very efficient and their performances are top notch

Cons

- Mayo has a distinct culture, sometimes almost hypocritical; this is something that you either deal with or leave it altogether

Advice to Management

- HR needs to stay on top of their tasks, too often certain contract related issues are not resolved in a professional and timely manner

Other Employee Reviews for Mayo Clinic

"A lot of bravado"

Former Employee - Analyst in Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - Analyst in Rochester, MN

I worked at Mayo Clinic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Layed back work environment
    Very flexible
    Love the primary value - "the needs of the patient come first," which for the most part the organization tried to deliver on.

Cons

It was over six years before I got a performance review, which my manager was lousy at doing. However, others did get performance reviews and were then promoted. So basically, if your manager likes you and your personality you will get ahead.
    Favoritism is common place.
    Everybody gets a raise…nothing is based one's performance, so everyone eventually becomes complacent.
    Mayo was a "physician lead" organization, but has become a physician MANAGED organization. As a result, decisions take for ever and they are slow to respond to fast changing market conditions.

"Good place to work, but not as amazing as they let on"

Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in Rochester, MN
    Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in Rochester, MN

I have been working at Mayo Clinic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is above average, the benefits are great. Some of the people are very nice and friendly. They pay for your uniform once every year for a pca and they pay for all classes you may need to take for your job (such as CPR). I just love working with those patients that you grow a bond with :)

Cons

They make it seem like this amazing place to work, where everyone is always happy and friendly. They sweep under the rug certain, however. Some of the people are very full of themselves and have an attitude. I have lived in Minnesota for most of my life and I don't really care for the area nor the people...sorry.

Advice to Management

Make changes for everybody, not just the "lower" positions. Expect everyone to do their best and nothing less.