McCarthy & Holthus - Miserable work environment. Quality Claims McCarthy and Holthus | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for McCarthy & Holthus

"Miserable work environment. Quality Claims McCarthy and Holthus"

Current Employee - Mortgage Insurance Oversight Specialist in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Mortgage Insurance Oversight Specialist in San Diego, CA

I have been working at McCarthy & Holthus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Some people are smart, hardworking and honest people.

-Made friends for life.

Cons

-Micro managing to the extreme
-Unprofessional management
-Non livable wage
-Lay offs
-Uneducated supervisors
-Crap benefits
-No parking
-Training is a joke
-Retaliatory Supervisors out to give certain people a hard time based on personal issues.

Advice to Management

I hope you go out of business.

Other Employee Reviews for McCarthy & Holthus

"It's just not a good company--do yourself a favor and stay away!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time

Pros

Pretty young co-workers, bonus for referring future hires, free coffee, getting hired is really easy

Cons

It is just a sad environment to get yourself into. You will probably make some new friends, but expect most of your conversations to be about how bad it is to work at McCarthy Holthus. The managers are overly passive aggressive and the executives continually walk around the office solely for the purpose of catching someone sending a text message. This type of micromanagement is made ever so more obvious when you consider that employees must clock in and out whenever they are on their breaks, and I don't just mean their lunch breaks. The turnover rate is extremely high, which explains the young employees because the company does not make any attempt to help one grow career-wise. Keep an eye on the housing market because when foreclosures began to decline, it has led to hundreds of layoffs within the company. They try to blind you with providing Phil's BBQ, but the last time they did that, an entire department was laid off the day prior. Also, I don't know about you, but working in a firm that makes its money from kicking families out of their homes isn't the most karma-friendly; you will have a front row view of how insanely evil corporate banks really are, and the law firm's partners are definitely doing their best to follow suit.

Finally, you ***WILL*** be underpaid--that is a guarantee. With all of this talk about raising minimum wage up to $15 an hour, I will bet my house that the partners, especially Kevin McCarthy and Tom Holthus, will be donating a lot of money towards political campaigns in opposition because that would mean essentially all of the paralegals would be getting less than minimum wage, thus they would have to be paid more. If you don't have a college degree, you would be lucky to make more than $11 an hour, and raises almost never exceed 25 cents; if you do, they will probably offer $12 hourly. For young attorneys, congrats on passing the bar, but it will be a loooooooong time until you pay off your student loans, if you work here. The company tries to convince you that the economy is makes it tough to raise employees' salaries substantially, but then you find out that the partners have just purchased a private jet and one of them (whose name rhymes with Tom Holthus) bought himself a million dollar sailboat; meanwhile, expect to be eating SpaghettiO's that you grabbed from the clearance aisle at Food4Less!

Advice to Management

You might be functioning within the parameters of the law, but you guys need to take a trip to see the Wizard of Oz and get yourselves a heart. The dissatisfaction of working for this company is obvious, so, at least, try to make an effort to fix this. Also, saying, "Be grateful that you have a job", doesn't cut it.

"Awful, a company run by people who only care about themselves."

Former Employee - Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at McCarthy & Holthus full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Experience, if you are new to the legal field you can gain a lot of experience if you are in a few departments. Casual dress environment.

Cons

Everything, moral, pay, benefits, parking. Management minus a few don't care about their employees. They are there to get a pay check. I have never worked for a company as awful as this one in my life. It is so miserable they make you fearful other law firms will be this bad. It's not the case and once you leave you will see it. They over work you and treat you like crap. Raises if anything are 10 cents. They don't follow through with any promises and bad management gets away with everything. If you try and speak up you will be forced out because they will make your life miserable. Turnover is ridiculous. This place is truly a foreclosure mill. I am not an angry employee who was fired. I am telling you the truth from someone who was a supervisor for more than 5 years and moved on to a much better place. Even if they offered to double my salary I would have still left because it's not worth it and never will be.

Advice to Management

If you want a successful business it starts with caring about those who work for you.