McCormick & Schmick's - A Good family environment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for McCormick & Schmick's

"A Good family environment"

Current Employee - Server in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Server in Washington, DC

I have been working at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff is very friendly towards one another, management can be okay, i understand that at the end of the day they have someone to answer to as well.

Cons

It is a corporate company, enough said.

Advice to Management

Learn to work with your staff.

Other Employee Reviews for McCormick & Schmick's

1. "Great company to work for, quality products."

Former Employee - Catering Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Catering Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

McCormick & Schmick's takes good care of its employees. Promotes from within, pays above industry standard.

Cons

It's a restaurant company with limited potential for growth.

"Worked at the Portland corporate office before Landry's took over"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Portland, OR

I worked at McCormick & Schmick's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, the people in my department really worked as a team. There was a very nice lady in my department who I was able to bring questions to as a new person and I still remember and am thankful for that. The culture at the corporate office was one where people were encouraged to talk face to face. I met a couple of truly wonderful people while working there that put smiles on my face when I think about them now. The Portland corporate offices where we were – both the original Washington Street location and the later Northrup spot – had a classy look to them.

Cons

Way too much work from day one! Management never cared. I actually loved most of the work but was always besieged with a truckload of it – everyone in my department was and we often ridiculed the amount and joked about it. There needed to be a bookkeeper at every one of the restaurants to handle communication with our corporate office accounting team but management cut back on hiring for that position. This resulted in tremendous frustration for us at the corporate office because in many cases invoice processing and paperwork were not completed by the restaurants and then we would either have to remind the restaurants to do it or play “bad cop” with repeated requests. One of our supervisors would get mad at US for things the restaurants did not complete, which was extremely stressful and unfair. Raises were paltry. It was a very stiff working environment with too many meetings and an intimidating review process. Several of the supervisors were openly harsh and strict. Company was sold to Landry’s right before Thanksgiving 2011 and pretty soon all of us corporate office people were gone. Very cold finish cementing the feeling of everyday uncaring that went on. Soul-sucking place in many ways that drained the life out of me and took me a long time to recover from.

Advice to Management

Nothing I can add now as Landry’s took it over in 2012 and I’m no longer there.