McDaniels Marketing - The opportunities given and respect for accomplishing the job is great, however there are inconsistent pay structures. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for McDaniels Marketing

"The opportunities given and respect for accomplishing the job is great, however there are inconsistent pay structures."

Pros

Small company, close to home, opportunity to grow and develop, close knit group.

Cons

Small company, senior manager has limited experiences outside the family business.

Advice to Management

Allow more collaboration in decision-making, well thought out plans and strategic development.

Other Employee Reviews for McDaniels Marketing

"Challenging but rewarding, flexible and fun, family-owned and personal are just a few words to say about this agency."

Current Employee - Organizational Development and Marketing Consultant in Pekin, IL

Pros

We are a small company, therefore the culture is much like a family. We offer free coffee with all the amenities, recognize birthdays and work anniversaries with gift cards, we spend time together for fun as well. About once per month we have a “happy hour” the last hour of the day and have food and beverages for all. We dress business casual and on Fridays we are all about jeans! We are personal, taking time for each other when necessary. If someone is going through a difficult time, we all reach out to one another and offer assistance. Every year during the holiday season, we have a wonderful Christmas party that lasts all day long. We have incentive programs – one is peer recognition with $125 in cash and prizes each month as well as a quarterly self-review where our president connects with each and every person over the course of the following week or two and listens to each person as well as offering feedback when needed. An Extreme Performer is chosen for that quarter and is recognized and rewarded $300 in cash and prizes. Of course we have annual performance reviews as well with merit raises accordingly. This year we are introducing a balanced scorecard system that will allow everyone the opportunity in a pay-for-performance program, distributing a pool of money evenly for all when our goals are met or exceeded.

All of this to say, for a small group, we have a lot to offer. Are we perfect? No, but we as a team continually collaborate to create the best work environment possible for creative work.

Cons

In small business with less than 20 people, it can become harried. Most of us wear multiple hats and that can create a frenzied environment. The positive side to that is the opportunity to gain experience on many projects in a variety of skill and exposure. I like that, but some people don't care for that type of environment.

In response to one of the very negative posts, the company began a major change management overhaul in 2011. The process for change can take up to 5 years, but there is significant progress! McDaniels Marketing has been in business, successfully operating for over 45 years. A small business focused on their work can lose sight of what is happening in and around the business. This is the reason the president of the company has initiated change including the implementation of a balanced scorecard that involves employee engagement, client satisfaction, quality, efficiency, and growth/finance. Part of the change process is building a winning team. We have those people in place now and I expect to see wonderful things from this organization well into the future.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay alert and aware of feedback from the system and what lies ahead in the marketplace, being prepared to change course and do whatever it takes to stay strong. Change takes time, stand firm. Management is doing a great job of listening and growing individually and as a company.

"It's a family business and they take care of #1, unfortunately all of the skill apparently ended with the founder."

Former Employee - Account Executive/Copywriter in Pekin, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive/Copywriter in Pekin, IL

Pros

Coworkers were great, an incredibly talented group of people who are all that keeps the company going.

Cons

Management has never worked anywhere else and whoa to those who propose new ideas. Unoriginal thinking, which is why they are a small time local agency. Management likes to confuse the company brand in order to appear to be a larger agency only to change it back on a whim. Their "digital division" consists of a part timer and a contractor who actually does the web development after which management marks up the hourly rate 4x their cost to milk the client for all their worth. If it weren't for the talented people they have as employees the McDaniels family would be up a creek. Unfortunately for them, nearly every single employee is looking for other opportunities which is why the turnover is so high. If you're thinking about accepting a position here ask about why turnover is so high or do a quick search on LinkedIn and ask some former employees about their previous experience.

Advice to Management

Realize that just because your dad started the company does not mean you have the same talent. Trust the skills and advice of those on your staff, they're subject matter experts. If you can't trust their experience, why hire them?