McDonald's - there is nothing like a day at mcdonalds. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for McDonald's

"there is nothing like a day at mcdonalds."

Current Employee - Manager in Mount Pleasant, MI
Current Employee - Manager in Mount Pleasant, MI

I have been working at McDonald's full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are more then willing to work with your availability

Cons

sometimes you just have to hold your tongue and be the bigger person

Advice to Management

you have to learn to put your business self first above all.

Other Employee Reviews for McDonald's

1. "Manager candidates be aware..."

Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - Floor Supervisor in Janesville, WI

I have been working at McDonald's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

McDonald's, overall, is a good company to work for. If you're looking for a job that will enable you to get promoted quickly, then this might be a good fit for you. Hard work, enthusiasm and talent ARE rewarded, and most of the managers are reasonable people just trying to get the job done. The really good managers offer plenty of feedback and are always willing to answer questions.

Cons

The biggest downside is while promotions happen fairly quickly, the training isn't as thorough as it should be, you're often trained for one position, only to be told you'll be filling another. I was being trained as a SHIFT MANAGER and passed my certification, and was informed that I would NOT be a certified shift manager, but a Floor Supervisor, a position that is technically management, but does not qualify one for benefits, bonuses, or paid vacations. Be prepared to work long hours for little compensation, many weekends, and if the store you work for is open on holidays, be assured you'll most likely be working!

Advice to Management

Please work with your management candidates to make sure they're learning all the jobs in the restaurant, and offer plenty of feedback. I've been a floor supervisor for over a year now, and still have not learned all I should know to be managing a staff and be taken seriously!

2. "All around terrible business practices. (Sorry about the poorly organized list, there aren't any formatting options)"

Current Employee - Crew Member/Grill Cook in Jackson, MI
    Current Employee - Crew Member/Grill Cook in Jackson, MI

I have been working at McDonald's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

**Although not entirely relevant, I only took this job as a sort of self-inflicted penance. As well as a way to stay humble. The money was irrelevant. The principle of the whole thing is just incredibly troubling**

-They don't whip you.
    -Hours are pretty flexible. But that is more the specific manager than the actual business, since it's up to them
    -There are moments where you'll actually have fun with the people and still be able to get everything done. But these moments are rare
    -Basically anyone can be hired

Cons

-You are paid virtually nothing.
    -It's is all 'Stick' and no 'Carrot'.
        +Example: You are never called out for doing well, only berated for not doing more. Which is an incredibly myopic form of motivation.
    -You are treated like crap because they figure 'why treat employees well, we will just get new ones when they quit'. Which ends up leaving you with only the lazy workers. Who just coast off the harder workers til they quit. Then they just coast off the new hard workers. Because they know they'll never get fired
        +They have crazy high employee turnover. I've been working there around a year, 15 people have been hired in, then quit within 2 weeks because it was so horrible. 9 more quit after getting sick of everything they had to put up with. Then only 2 more quit because they had a better job lined up. For some perspective as to how much that really is, at Most, there are 8 people working the store. Generally only 5 or 6. Then when it gets slow, as few as 2.
    -If labor is over 20%(meaning they are 'only' making 5 times the cost of running the store), be ready for a couple hours worth of breaks.
        +You still have the same amount of stuff you must do. But now you either have to do it on your breaks, or be repeatedly yelled at for not having it done.
        +I have literally had days that i had more time on break than actually working. Example: Clock in for an hour, clock out for 30 minutes. Clock in for 20 minutes, clock out for 45. Ect.
    -You are Rarely, if ever, going to get a raise. And if you do, it will be for maybe 10 cents an hour.
    -Depending on which store you work at, you are either expected to do the job of 3 people. Which means you will really get your heart pumping, and sweat pouring(sad part is, I'm only being slightly hyperbolic). Even though I'm in great shape.
        +On the other side of things, if you're at a large store that is heavily crewed. You will be standing in one spot, doing one thing, all day.
        +There is no middle ground it seems. When you have to cover 3 areas, and get paid virtually nothing compared to their net revenue, it's just insulting
    -You are, on occasion, expected to drive to different stores to pickup/deliver items. Or even to work there if they're short too many crew members(I have had to work at 6 different stores so far)
    -Half the machines are in severe disrepair, and the other half are broken or missing. And the owners are too busy stuffing their pockets to actually get the stuff fixed.
        +We have literally been told that we 'only' grossed $90,000(net being a minimum of $75,000) and that it's not enough to be making maintenance calls. So if we want something fixed, we better increase our revenue.
        +Just so you have an idea of how bad some of it is.. The pipes clog and overflow.(because everything leaks since the pipes are 20 years old and cheap) at least twice a month. When this happens the grease and food, and anything else put down any drain, will start to overflow into the store. It's not a minor puddle either, its a flood. Covering around 80 sq meters. The smell is atrocious. It quite literally looks, and smells, like the sewer flooded. The 'water' goes into the store room, partially into the walk in fridge, and into the grill/prep area. It will then stay that way for several days before they allow us to call a plumber. I guess they think it'll just magically go away? Seems like that wouldn't be good to have near food..

Advice to Management

-Give your workers fair wages. Especially for the stores who are under staffed. They have to work incredibly hard to keep up
    -Frequent pay raises for exceptional employees
    -Allow labor to fall sometimes. Time is required to do things unfortunately. Which means the only time we have any real time to do things, is when it's slow. (Which causes labor to worsen)
    -Treat employees better. If you treat them well, they will treat you well. Look at Google type companies. They treat their employees like family, and in return they get an unparalleled work force loyalty and effort.
    -Fire the lazy workers. It's called 'work', not 'get paid to stand there and talk to friends or play with your phone'
    -Don't be so greedy. I assure you, you don't need 5 houses and 8 cars.
        +It's disgusting how much you gorge yourselves, while your work force can't even afford to live on their own.