McDonald's - Good first job if you're a 16y/o high school student. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for McDonald's

"Good first job if you're a 16y/o high school student."

Former Employee - Crew Member
Former Employee - Crew Member

I worked at McDonald's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is still the most structured company I have ever worked for. Everything is done very efficiently with step by step instructions. All of the tasks are amazingly simple if you have at least two hands and a 30 second memory. Cash register is easily the best position, but you'll only get it if you're a girl or one of the manager's favorite boys. Interacting with customers is much nicer than interacting with coworkers. Regardless of position, you'll learn to work as part of a team with frequently challenging partners. BEST PART: McDonald's is way more flexible with scheduling and call-offs than any other employer I've had. I didn't realize how nice this was till I went to work elsewhere. Plus you get tons of free food.

Cons

Promotions are based entirely on how long you've worked there and how long you plan to stay. Although most employees are high school students expecting to work part time, the job starts to completely consume your life if you let it. Learn to say "no" when the manager inevitably calls asking you to work Sunday at 6am or Friday until past midnight. Finally, you will be working in a small, hot space under high stress with coworkers who are frequently ignorant and selfish, so you better have thick skin and good communication skills.

Advice to Management

Don't promote someone to manager just because they've been there for two years. Time does not equal competence. I had too many young managers give stupid orders like "Polish the fridge!" in the middle of a lunch rush when we barely had enough people to make burgers.

Other Employee Reviews for McDonald's

1. "It was my first job and the worst."

Former Employee - Crew Member in Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Medford, OR

I worked at McDonald's part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling and fun coworkers.

Cons

Being cussed at daily by customers who didn't like the prices or waiting for their food. The managers rarely checked time off requests before making the schedule, resulting in the hassle of finding people to cover shifts.

"This franchise is a sad representation of the corporate company."

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Greencastle, PA
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Greencastle, PA

I have been working at McDonald's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with the public
    Ability to help mold work ethic of the younger crew members

Cons

Supervisors within the franchise lead by intimidation.
    Profits hold more value than employees.
    Asked to "fix" (lie) about numbers on reports so that Supervisor looked successful.

Advice to Management

McDonald's is a great company as a whole. If you're interested in a career with them apply at a corporate owned store and not a franchise. Franchise have no HR or any way to resolve issues with supervisors.