McGraw-Hill Education - A Time of Change | Glassdoor

"A Time of Change"

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

* salary
* great employees
* employee programs

Cons

* managers are power driven and don't listen
* expectation of work 20 hours a day
* internal processes are not established and no one seems to know what to do

Advice to Management

Upper management is in a place to really affect change and should seek out the opinions of successful individual contributors. Many times the manager is contacted but for the most part we are successful in spite of the constant need of reports, documentation, and job justification.

Other Employee Reviews for McGraw-Hill Education

"Publishing Is on a Roll; Professional Group is Toast"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional is home of McGraw's legacy brand. Fair wages and vacation benefits. Still populated by [a shrinking core of] book lovers. Offices are in a nice part of town. Some product and editorial people are stellar. Long-timers remember the "good old days," and work tirelessly to recreate MHP's past successes. The Professional Group's President's aide-de-camp is old and probably will retire soon, hopefully leaving somebody less "committed" to take attendance.

Cons

Run like a Soviet prison gulag--snitches, weasels, and toadies rule. Workers are pitted one against the other, in turn creating an environment in which individuals care only about their own job or product silo. Slow to adopt to demand for digital content. Agonizingly long product development cycle. No commitment to project management--or to adopting processes that address systemic weaknesses. Meeting-heavy work culture. Managers are not expected or encouraged to communicate with their teams, except when MH Professional is in crisis mode--which seems to be always. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership should update their resumes or consider taking the money and running.

"Great Products. Toxic Culture."

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We have the best technology products on the market. The competition doesn’t offer anything remotely close to LearnSmart.

Cons

The culture has grown so toxic. Leadership talks about a new kind of company, but it’s all fear-driven. There is so much backbiting among managers. The turnover is terrible. We’re all being run into the ground. Some territories are on their third rep in two years. No surprise: Reps are thrown into the field with barebones training. Management doesn’t want to hear excuses, but they don’t want to be held accountable either.

Advice to Management

Quit patting yourselves on the back. You’re living off the wise investments of the previous regime. Stop behaving like the Mad Men era never ended. You’re going to get us sued. Quit threatening to replace sales reps with laid off Cengage reps. That’s not how to motivate people! If you’re going to slash our budgets and send us emails on being frugal, stop flying the whole management team to Vegas on the company dime. Get your arms around Connect. We can’t keep crashing or repeatedly having codes that don't work.