McGraw-Hill Education - Great work/life balance | Glassdoor

"Great work/life balance"

Former Employee - Senior Producer in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Senior Producer in Boston, MA

I worked at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance. They do a good job allowing you to work from home, etc

Cons

Very political. Be prepared for a lot of 'CYA' emails. The culture is very me centric.

Other Employee Reviews for McGraw-Hill Education

"Stressful place to work"

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

benefits, name recognition, nice office

Cons

Leaders/supervisors are not capable in their positions, nor are they every available to answer questions. Horrible turnover.

Advice to Management

Hire supervisors/leaders who are well qualified.

"Absolutely exceptional until 2011"

Current Employee - Executive Brand Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Brand Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at McGraw-Hill Education full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding, exceedingly intelligent colleagues who are more-than-committed to education and to creating superior learning tools. Merit-based culture - replete with hard-working, very dedicated, collaborative co-workers. Always changing, exciting, upbeat, and highly professional.

Cons

Candidly, there were no "cons" until the summer of 2011 when there was a massive reorganization. Yes, we were all workaholics, but it was self-induced and many of us loved the job so much, we willingly over-worked. Relative to the 2011 change-up, it occurred when an entirely new executive team was put in place. While many of us agreed that change needed to occur, and we welcomed it; at the same time, we also agreed that the manner in which the change was conducted was unprofessional, unsavory, and certainly not in line with what the McGraw-Hill brand and culture heretofore represented.

Advice to Management

Where shall I start? Stop placing inexperienced, unseasoned people in high level management roles. Please cease the fraternity/sorority culture which has taken over our once highly distinguished, merit-based company. You say that you reward people based on "numbers, track record, and merit" - - - really? I know plenty of promoted individuals whose track record is as deep as a puddle, yet because they match the fraternity-boy profile you seek, they receive promotions. Utter hypocrisy and such a sad state in which the company has been left. Unfortunately and quietly, we are all waiting for our way out and/or until there is a change-up in the highest ranks.