McKesson - Good company on the road to great | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for McKesson

"Good company on the road to great"

Current Employee - Vice President in Carrollton, TX
Current Employee - Vice President in Carrollton, TX

Pros

Excellent company with good people to work with who care about doing a good job

Cons

Pockets of opportunity for prormotion. If you aren't in the right place you will have to move

Advice to Management

Not all divsions are equally well run. Divisions with problems need a few well thoughtout well comunicated initiatives that every employee nuderstands and supports

Other Employee Reviews for McKesson

"GREAT job, CRAPPY Career"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA

Pros

McKesson is a place where there are amazing things happening and you've got the freedom to get involved with as many as you'd like. That's a rare thing in my experience. The comp is above average, the bonus structure is generous, and the benefits are great (I remember having an obscene amount of vacation time). Many of the individuals at the lower levels are very sharp and just interesting people to interact with.

Cons

The ONE thing that McKesson does a TERRIBLE job with is internal talent development. They are quite generous with training and senior access, but someone needs to die for you to get a promotion. My theory was that, since McK grows through acquisitions, they tend to get very bloated with mid/senior managers from targets that they can't fire. To put it in context: the person in charge of assigning cubes was an SVP (isn't that something you could do with an excel Macro?). The result is that very bright junior people come in, perform, get wonderful training, and then walk out the door. Of the three people I was hired with, we all have three things in common: 1) We had the best employment experience and training at McK. 2) We are all very successful leaders in the healthcare information technology space now. 3) None of us are still with Mckesson.

Advice to Management

You've got great people in your basement that you are pouring a ton of money into. They're motivated, talented, and VERY well trained. And now they're competing against you.

2. "Get with (A) Program"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Carrollton, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Carrollton, TX

Pros

The pay seems fair. Some of the people are awesome. The company pushes quite a bit of money... and drugs.

Cons

There are many. There is quite a bit of infighting between groups. They create management positions without direct reports for cronies. They expect you to be at their beck and call. They are poorly supported in operations and other technical positions.

Advice to Management

Set a direction and stay on path. No one likes to see management meander. Over the past few years everyone has entered a "cover your butt" mentality that has crippled productivity and led to moral issues.