Employee Review

1. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

McKesson USED to be a good company to work for.

Sep 19, 2013 - Senior Technical Implementation Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I started working at HBO & Co in 1993. Eventually we were bought out by McKesson. I worked there for over 17 years. I used to enjoy my job as an engineer but it really went downhill when the McKesson stock dropped by $60 per share in one day. Then towards the end of my employment our team was cut in half due to turnover but never replaced them. We were very overworked and no longer received incentives too. Then raises became less and less while executives made an astonishing amount of money. McKesson is the Walmart of the healthcare industry. I know this is the Pros section but I just can't find anything good to say about this company. Yep, there was one good thing....I got to work from home. My other colleagues worked from their homes all over the US because there was no office to go to. Worked in technical implementations which meant a lot of travel for some (80 - 90%). The technology became even more challenging but there was no training on it. One had to fly by the seat of their pants. Finally, the last straw was no raises. Managers were not allowed to give high ratings to employees on their reviews. They had to limit it to maybe one employee in our team. People had no incentive to do their best. We used to get monetary awards if someone nominated you. There was also bonuses years ago, now gone. Re-org's were done all the time it seems. I had 8 bosses within an 8 year period. These managers never tried to get to know you and your capabilities. It was like starting from scratch all over again. They did allow promotion to management if you were deemed a "Golden Boy". Unfortunately, they would not train them on how to manage people. I had so many bad managers that way. A guy who was an Analyst would become a manger for a department he never worked in which made the learning curve even harder for them which in turn reflected on us.

Cons

Salary is low, benefits are very expensive, non-caring management, poor managers and directors, unattainable goals, overworked, no replacing people when they leave, lack of respect from management since none of them actually knew what we did. The list goes on and on.

Continue reading
    5 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great place to grow a career

Sep 20, 2021 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good feedback, upward mobility, lots of different departments in Dallas area

Cons

Annual raises are in line with large companies

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Employee-conscious, Recognition-oriented, Ever-evolving

Sep 17, 2021 - Senior Financial Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Inclusive; management genuinely cares about making employees feel included in the McKesson work environment. Management is great about celebrating the individual in everyone and that has made me a better person too. Merit-based evaluation and reward of performance; management works hard to show appreciation through promotions, raises, and recognition of employee efforts verbally and through consistent check-ins with the larger group Fantastic policies; work from home for now and optional return to office Great facilities and employee resource groups with events Solid benefits; 401k, insurance through a very good (as good as insurance can really be) insurance provider, life insurance, maternity and paternity leave

Cons

Fast-paced. There is definitely a learning curve, and that is stressful, but, as is starting anywhere new.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about McKesson.