McKinsey & Company - If you find your niche here, it's the most generative environment you can hope for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for McKinsey & Company

"If you find your niche here, it's the most generative environment you can hope for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

World class training, amazing colleagues, amazing chances to have real impact at some genuinely spectacular clients

Cons

Long hours that you have to carefully manage; atmosphere of 'I can always do more' that can be demoralizing

Advice to Management

The West Coast office will be the first to break down fear as a motivator, and we can lead the world in this

Other Employee Reviews for McKinsey & Company

"In LOVE with my JOB!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Tampa, FL

I have been working at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to work! Everyone is really great to work with! Free catered lunch EVERY Friday and something new to learn EVERY day!
    Great pay and AMAZING benefits!!

Cons

Not a lot of time to interact with your co-workers and most work is done on your own.

Advice to Management

Try to schedule more team meetings or team outings. Would be great if we could have a more TEAM atmosphere.

"Exhausting, but enriching learning experience"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at McKinsey & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

McKinsey has top rate training at every level of the job - everyone has formal training retreats 3-21 days long (depending on retreat) from Analysts to Partners. Also, you get to see the insides of companies like never before.

Cons

Exhausting. Hard to explain until you've been there. I thought how awesome it would be to work 8am to 8pm M-F - 12 hours - and I couldn't even imagine having that much free time during the week. And demoralizing - the stress is so high because everyone has someone barking at their back, that everyone spends a lot of time feeling like they are way behind and can't succeed. I used to think - I just performed a minor miracle with this analysis, and in just 4 hours! And the response would be akin to "Well, it was just a MINOR miracle. Show me a big miracle." The speed would be OK if it was what the client needed, but it left them in the dust, too. Which meant they missed a lot of what was happening in the study, which reduced its overall value. Also, holy crap McKinsey people don't understand math beyond arithmetic. I am good at stats and was actively discouraged from using real math to solve real problems because it was not understood by my manager and he didn't have time to hear an explanation. This leads to not just inexact, but flat out wrong and misleading answers.

Advice to Management

Listen to your PhD associates, etc. who understand math - rather than dismissing us as "just like an APD too focused on 'facts' and 'math'" value our contributions. MBAs do not learn real math, but science/math PhDs do. Use that.
    And model a reasonable lifestyle that you think others should aspire to. I left when it became apparent that while my lifestyle was unbearable, everyone ranked above me had it even worse (it wasn't going to get better).