McLaren Health Care - Palatable, if you can deal with tenuous job security and out-of-touch management. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for McLaren Health Care

"Palatable, if you can deal with tenuous job security and out-of-touch management."

Current Employee - I See All Sides in Flint, MI
Current Employee - I See All Sides in Flint, MI

I have been working at McLaren Health Care full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

~Nice staff & patient population.
~Pay is competitive (despite location).
~Routine opportunities for CE.
~RNs have good union, it seems.
~Focusing more on evidence-based medicine, applying to hospital policies with senior staff input. (however, motivation is monetary)
~New, super-cool Proton Beam radiation center almost open! VERY forward thinking (will be sixth in the U.S.!) Good for patients, McLaren and community!!!
~Concierge Service: paid for by McLaren, these folks will take your car for an oil change, get your groceries, run your errands while U R @work. Very Nice people; convenient and a great perk for working here.
~Steady work.
~Admins are polite in hallways.
~CEO matches employee donations to United Way!

Cons

~Administration can focus too much on a short-term goal, looses feel of day-to-day management issues. (know your house and how to keep it in order)
~Knee-jerk reaction to issue-resolution; not including info from workers/ stakeholders/ support staff into the decision-making process. (if so, decisions would command more respect) (know how to get your house back in order, peacefully)
~Underlying tension of Admin-vs-workers is distracting background static in every interaction.
~"not-for-profit" the most blatant lie. McLaren Healthcare Corporation, with many hospitals under her wing, makes huge "profit" because she can force supplies to lower prices, due to her awesome purchasing power. Therefore: 1) Everything provided by the lowest bidder: suplies, EMR. 2) Profits not returned to infrastructure nor working people; Admins get the bonuses. As the world turns, so does "not-for-profit"
~Those w/o union are employed at-will. I've seen 'em come, & I've seen 'em go... You have been warned...

Advice to Management

1) Most staff want to do a great job for a long time, with a winning team in a secure environment. Invest a little more time and you will see this (and you will see those who are not team players). (Know your house and how to keep it in order)
2) We'll be more understanding of your mistakes, if you are understanding of ours. Let's grow together : )
3) Let's not compromise patient care because we were pinching a penny with short staff. Hospitals need some redundancy to cover in-house emergencies. Perhaps Management/ Admins are short-staffed as well, eh?
4) Hang in there! You can do it!

Other Employee Reviews for McLaren Health Care

"Just be happy you have a job."

I have been working at McLaren Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits
    Vacation
    Education Incentives
    Free Parking
    Federal Mileage pay

Cons

poor management
    poor pay
    Over worked
    Rare to get a yearly raise
    Constant Outsourcing
    Poor Equipment

"we cut lots of jobs and you should be happy you still have a job"

Former Employee - Nurse in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Nurse in Lansing, MI

I worked at McLaren Health Care full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

not many pros anymore....I like my work and my co-workers but that's about it

Cons

Frequent layoffs of essential staffs, everyone else picks up the slack patient care suffers..all the while we are told to work harder and that it could be worse...CEO stil gets his millions in bonuses and benefits while we all work with less and less

Advice to Management

Come and see what your direct care staff actually deal with on a daily basis especially when you cut essential support staff, talk with the patients about how it impacts ther satisfaction