Mckenna Ryan Designs - Great job...if you don't mind getting yelled at all the time. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Mckenna Ryan Designs

"Great job...if you don't mind getting yelled at all the time."

Former Employee - Office Manager in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Office Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some beautiful work comes out of this company. If you are a fan of the fiber arts, then this is a haven for you. The work space is amazing too. The loft setting is in one of the best areas in Portland to work. The people in the building were amazing. I got to know many people from other businesses.

And, as always, it is really nice to talk to fans of the artwork across the globe. You can hear their excitement when a new product comes out.

Random pizza parties were pretty cool on the occasion.

Cons

There is a lot of yelling that goes on in that place. With wall to wall cement surrounding you, the sound carries and echos in your ears until you get home.

In art fields, people get frustrated a lot. Sometimes, people find it necessary to take that frustration and aggression out on those who are the easiest targets who are undeserving, via yelling. Unfortunately, it happens to the best of us.

Overtime pay is not actually paid by the company. You will be asked to work "without pay" or volunteer your time when you are over 40 hours per week, which is a lot of the time.

There is a lot of hand holding with operations. With this being a newly relocated company, with little to no resources to learn from, it was a lot of baby steps to get the company back on it's feet in the new home.

Advice to Management

Calm down. There is no need to yell. Take a deep breath and look at the bigger picture.

Other Employee Reviews for Mckenna Ryan Designs

1. "A very nice place to work & play"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Portland, OR

I have been working at Mckenna Ryan Designs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone has their own job clearly defined and the entire team works together when there's a big project. The 37 hour work-week is good, and the pay is equitable. The office manager is a delight to work for and she always provides clear direction and direct feedback.

Cons

None really - maybe more hours and more paid vacation :-)

Advice to Management

Advertise more to increase sales.

2. "Inspired me to move on...fast"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Mckenna Ryan Designs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location is a great place surrounded by a lot of hot locales.

The showroom is lovely to look at and is set up beautifully.

Loads of free scrap fabric.

Free lunches sometimes.

Cons

There is a lot of them. Never have I been so miserable at a job. The prestige of working for an artist has kept me there as long as I have. As soon as I find new employment, I will resign.

Aside from getting yelled at on an hourly basis, I am appalled at how the boss treats fans and customers. With possibly the biggest ego I've ever seen, customers are made to feel inferior. It makes me very uncomfortable.

And speaking of uncomfortable, there is a lot of talk in the office about sex. Just the bosses sex life constantly. It's disgusting to imagine but the details are vivid. Employees don't need to hear this.

One of the big cons is the people who work remotely in Montana and elsewhere. I have never worked under such poorly trained circumstances. The work ethics are lacking, communication is nonexistent, and they can't efficiently get work done timely when they make their own schedules and come and go as they please. The locall workers repeatedly get yelled at for their constant mistakes.

The constant yelling is the end of it for me though. I cant work for a boss who treats her employees with such disrespect and aggression.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the remote workers. There is so much more you could do with your business if they were not in the picture. You would save soooo much money by hiring locally and it would cut the tensions that cause a lot of the misfortunes that have been happening over the last few years. They are unprofessional, untrained, and cost way more than they are worth.

Stop yelling at everyone. We are all adults and should come into work and be professional.

Pay your local employees more. They do so much more than remote workers, but make so much less.