MedAssets - A decent company to work for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for MedAssets

"A decent company to work for."

Current Employee - Proposal Management, RFP Manager in El Segundo, CA
Current Employee - Proposal Management, RFP Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MedAssets offer flexible work schedules.

Cons

MedAssets offers no real room for growth.

Advice to Management

Promote from within the company.

Other Employee Reviews for MedAssets

1. "Love it!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at MedAssets full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- A fast-paced, growing company with a fantastic future in the healthcare industry; we are uniquely positioned among our competitors to address the changing healthcare market
    - Laced with employees who genuinely care about the company and our clients and the ultimate impact of how what we does impacts patient care
    - Multiple divisions within the company, so opportunities for career growth
    - Extremely charitable - company supports an orphanage in Africa, partners with other companies to send medical equipment to third-world countries, is very involved in helping veterans find employment through HireHeroes USA, allows employees up to 40 hours each year to volunteer (completely separate from any other paid time off programs)
    - Leaders are working hard to increase employee engagement
    - This is a FUN company to work at. We have many cultural activities like field days, a fall festival, charity day, Pi Day, chili cook-offs, etc., to make it a fun work community
    - Work/life balance is great. Managers are flexible and I genuinely feel that I'm paid for results, not the time I put in. If I want to leave early on a Thursday for a happy hour or on a Friday for a long weekend, no problem; my manager knows my work will get done.

Cons

- The medical benefits are not great. Company last year went to consumer-driven health plans (CDHP) like so many companies across the country are. This is a huge change for employees and requires that they become more active in planning and making decisions on their health care. Premiums are low but deductibles are high and people don't understand the trade-off.
    - There are still silos to break down between the divisions.
    - Company is coming off a two-year integration program after acquiring the Broadlane Group. Has it been bumpy? Yes! But it's also been exciting to watch these two former competitors come together as one company. Is it perfect? No, and it likely never will be (what company is?). But the leadership is trying hard under the vision of our CEO, John Bardis. I actually see this as a "pro" but they were outweighing the cons so I listed it here as many people would have a hard time dealing with the length of this process... but you have to be in it for the long haul.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees. Keep communicating your vision. Recognize employees. Maintain work/life balance.

"A terrible, dishonest workplace run by self-interested, morally reprehensible people."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saddle River, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saddle River, NJ

I worked at MedAssets full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am struggling to think of anything that is a true, unequivocal pro of working at MedAssets. I feel a moral obligation to advise any interested parties that no pro of working at MedAssets renders a job offer from this company worth accepting. Seriously. But, since you asked:

The PTO was somewhat generous, though not bankable, and there was tremendous pressure from upper-management not to use it.

There is an annual company picnic, to which your family is not invited, and you get to miss one day of work without taking a PTO day to attend. Of course, if for whatever reason you are not able to attend the picnic, like because you'd rather throw yourself down a set of stairs than attend a social event with your MedAssets coworkers, you have to take a PTO day.

There is an annual Christmas party. It's gaudy and kind of depressing, but the drinks are free.

The company seems to be under the impression that they can atone for their general inability to create a positive work environment by providing free food. The idea is insulting in and of itself, but if you don't think too hard about it I suppose free cake is nice.

I worked in the Saddle River, NJ office, where Hurricane Sandy did quite a bit of damage. Gas was difficult to access in the aftermath, and in a truly generous attempt to help his NJ employees, the company's Plano-based CEO arranged for a gas tank to come to the Saddle River office and provide free gas for the employees.

Cons

The compensation and benefits at this company are absurd. MedAssets has clearly made the choice to under-compensate all but their most senior employees and deal with the resulting turnover rather than truly invest in their workers by keeping pace with industry/regional trends. The health benefits are bad, which I suppose is not unusual, but as a healthcare company MedAssets should be embarrassed. I suppose that if they were to stop cutting corners in terms of salary and benefits, they might be forced to confront their professional ineptitude. Which brings me to my next con...

MedAssets, at least the division I worked for, is run by people who don't have a true understanding of the healthcare industry, or even of their own product. They're blinded by their personal ambitions and politics, and for that reason and so many others, MedAssets is a volatile and unstable work environment with unhappy clients who are always terminating. The company simply doesn't deliver on its promises to customers, and, unlike their employees who are bound by their need for employment, their customers can take their business elsewhere.

Honesty, hard work, and trust in upper-management will not get you far here. I found myself continually amazed by the brazen, overt, unabashed self-interest of senior-level employees at this company. If you like playing games, this is the place for you. If you expect to prosper by hard work and commitment, prepare for never-ending frustration.

The company has a stuffy, antiquated attitude about their work environment, and is laughably out of touch with current workplace trends. Dress-down Fridays, inflexible schedules, and the mass 5 PM exodus are the norm here. It's all so unenlightened, and if MedAssets plans to be competitive in attracting younger talent, they'll have to reevaluate the whole mid-80s, business-casual schtick.

Working at this company is one, long, sociological case-study in what becomes of those who failed to achieve social acceptance in high school. Cliques upon cliques upon cliques, all of which are orchestrated, maintained, and habitually reinforced by upper management. If you are not among the chosen ones, you can expect to be marginalized. And even if you are, falls from grace are comically frequent.

Prepare to be constantly working against the self-imposed limitations of your own company. No one was provided with the resources they needed to do their jobs well - the division I worked for didn't even have an onsight IT department. Let me repeat that for you - this was an office of about four hundred that did. not. have. an. onsight. IT department. Not that we would have benefited much from their presence, since the company was completely unwilling to purchase upgraded or improved technology for their employees, even if their work performance was suffering due to old or outdated technology. Most employees were forced to keep slow, malfunctioning computers until they were literally unusable (in fact, a work-performance rewards program implemented shortly before I left offered an upgrade of your work computer as one of the highest achievable rewards. Am I taking crazy pills?).

Here is my bottom line with this review - life is too short to work at MedAssets. Not everyone is the type to live to work, but I assure you, there are better places to watch the clock than here. Go somewhere else. Anywhere else.

Advice to Management

I have nothing to say to upper management. I would encourage MedAssets' board and executive management to do an honest reevaluation of the priorities and abilities of their upper management.