Medallia - Living the Silicon Valley growth company dream | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Medallia

"Living the Silicon Valley growth company dream"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cool culture. Great hiring - hires for brains and good attitudes. People are capable, friendly, collaborative, hard working and have a lot of fun. Silicon Valley perks - catered lunches 2 days a week, Friday happy hours, fun work space. Workers get the nice spots by the windows and execs have tiny little offices with no windows. Company is making it - growing fast, the software works, it keeps getting better, customers are generally happy, services does great work. Management is relatively humble, constantly aiming to get better, cares about employee satisfaction. They celebrate the good,acknowledge the bad, and put in place initiatives to get better all the time.

Cons

Growth creates growing pains. Top execs like to hire in senior staff from outside, making it hard for people to advance. Not much staff development. Middle managers don't - or can't - develop their people - just throw them at the work.

Advice to Management

Instead of just focusing on "culture" (which is great and I like a lot), focus also on staff development. Support people who want to grow in their career.

Other Employee Reviews for Medallia

"Impactful"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Medallia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medallia's engineering team contains one of the best combinations of smart, but friendly people in software development. We have very high standards for our engineers, but still manage to keep attitude and culture a necessity for new hires.

From a technical perspective, there are endless possibilities working here on machine learning and NLP problems on customer feedback data sets, distributed NoSQL systems, front-end data visualizations, automated testing frameworks, etc. Everybody can learn from anybody and there are precious few boundaries between teams.

From a learning perspective, some teams working closely with clients on agile/iterative processes while others focus on pure infrastructure tasks. Our twice a week deployment schedule means there's very little wasted time in developing, testing, and deploying new features and there's always work to be done and a willingness to hear new ideas. Various side projects (even non-work related ones) are plentiful and we are free to use and contribute towards open source projects as well.

Cons

Competition grade ping-pong table hasn't been used in months :(

On a more serious note, the stress of catering to a large number of enterprise clients and the small size of our engineering team do tend to result in a tiny bit of frustration which we take out with baseball bats and nerf guns on our tiny zoo of innocent stuffed sea animals.

Advice to Management

Our next hackathon is really overdue!

Inspire your developers with a vision and enable them to move openly towards it rather than shedding light in a new direction at each step in the dark.

"Great Company, Full of Great People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

- Great people
    - Fair workload and hours
    - Good location
    - Interesting problems to solve
    - Yearly company trip to Tahoe
    - Food and snacks

Cons

Being an enterprise product, it can be frustrating to yield to the demands of clients more than a consumer product might need to. That said, working with enterprise clients gives us the opportunity to work with some really stellar people and businesses.