Media General - District Supervisor, salaried position, work 50 plus hours per week with no additional pay. Work all hours of the nigh | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Media General

"District Supervisor, salaried position, work 50 plus hours per week with no additional pay. Work all hours of the nigh"

Former Employee - District Supervisor in Richmond, VA
Former Employee - District Supervisor in Richmond, VA

Pros

Nice office space, good location.

Cons

Day and evening hours with no extra pay for all hours worked and low salary, mimimum wage after working 50 plus hours on salary.

Advice to Management

Raise salaries

Other Employee Reviews for Media General

1. "A dinosaur trying to say all the right things. Respect for employees? None. Honesty? Don't bet on it."

Former Employee - Artist in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Artist in Richmond, VA

Pros

I enjoyed my work immensely when not impeded by supervisors whose primary function was to "write people up," as told to me by one disillusioned young supervisor. Benefits are decent. It would be nice if domestic partners were recognized for health plan purposes, but don't ever expect to see that in this conservative environment. It's a place to work for a couple years and gain experience. After that, you are yesterday's bird droppings, unless, sadly, you know or cuddle up to the right people.

Cons

Secrecy, shifting and fuzzy management whims, adversarial relationship with employees, a history of half-truths or untruths fed to employees (in a COMMUNICATIONS company). No interest in employees' feedback. It became where one's focus had to be on following the rules of the moment rather than on the actual work. Toadies, sycophants and 'tattletales' thrived--- the best people always left. Personally overheard from one manager to another: Q. How are you? A. Trying to cover my a$$ just like you." I always wanted to improve my performance, do my best work, and had great reviews-- despite the constant impediments of management. If you can accept this company culture, you'll probably do fine.

Advice to Management

Management has never been interested in the advice or feedback of employees in my 10+ years there. Management. At LEAST don't be a stumbling block to your employees' trying to do good work. Be truthful without an eye toward manipulation, please. And, being told at a group meeting that "We can replace ALL of you TOMORROW" is not a good incentive. This was actually spoken at one meeting I attended--this wouldn't be verbalized now, I'm sure, but would be otherwise implied. No doubts. And again, this is the company culture, not the result of current economic woes.

2. "Prepare to work 55-plus-hour weeks for 30-hour week pay."

Former Employee - Assistant News Director in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Assistant News Director in Wichita, KS

Pros

You can't find journalism work elsewhere.

Cons

Downturn in the Florida economy.

Advice to Management

Dump the Balanced Scorecard initiative and other "busy"paperwork that suppresses all employees' true initiative and creativity.